Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2013-06-06 04:36:33

Au101
Power Member

Introductory Limits

Hello everyone,

So, I've been away from maths for a while and - since I've missed it - I decided I wanted to brush up on my calculus a bit, which has deteriorated rather a lot. Anyway, I've been reading through an old textbook of mine and I've come across the line:

I don't know if I'm just missing an obvious fact since everything's a bit slow and clunky for me these days, but I can't see where the second line comes from and was hoping someone might be able to explain it to me. Thanks smile

#2 2013-06-06 04:42:47

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Introductory Limits

Hi Au101

It is a well-known identity:

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#3 2013-06-06 05:03:16

Au101
Power Member

Ahhh thank you anonimnystefy, now I see, because of course

And then all the terms in between cancel smile That's a great help smile

Last edited by Au101 (2013-06-06 05:03:46)

#4 2013-06-06 05:04:21

anonimnystefy
Real Member

That is correct! You are welcome! smile

If there's anything else, just ask.

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

Board footer