Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-31 19:32:42

mikau

imballanced brain...

I read that one side of your brain is more scientific, while the other is poetic. And most people usually have one side of their brain more developed then the other. Is it possible that one side of the brain gets so big the other side gets squashed dead?

Take me for example. After discovering math, I was pleased to find, I am actually good at something. There is so much you can do with math! The possibilities are endless!

But as cool as math is, people need companionship. (be it love or simple friendship). I have no friends and can't seem to make any. I can't start a converstation when I desperatly want to. The problem with people is you don't know what they're thinking. No advanced algorithm or formula of any kind can figure that out. Say something to someone, assuming they won't be annoyed or offended, is assigning a value to a variable before solving. Its like jumping into dark waters to see if its shark infested, biting into an apple to see if theres a worm. Madness!

But watching an episode of Numb3rs the other week, Charlie goes on a date, and it turns to a total disaster as he discovers he has nothing to talk about outside math Thats EXACTLY HOW I FEEL! The entire evening is spent in uncomfortable silence. Interesting. I know its just a tv show but perhaps many mathminds are this way.

Does anyone else here suffer this sort of cerebral disballance?

Last edited by mikau (2006-01-31 19:55:48)

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2006-01-31 21:35:11

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: imballanced brain...

Well, you are not alone in that! People are ... gosh ... mad, bad, sad, glad ... self-interested, generous, nasty, nice ... and changeable!

Why I like people is that as you get to know someone you find out the most amazing things ... after a while the 'face' becomes a real person with deep beliefs, thoughts and philosophy.

I don't think it is "cerebral disballance", though. Everyone is different, including you! ("Not me" says a little voice from the back)

Go for the things you are good at and enjoy!

But keep practicing with people, you eventually get the hang of it.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2006-02-01 10:21:55

ryos

No two people are not on fire.

El que pega primero pega dos veces.

#4 2006-02-01 10:24:25

mikau

Thanks for the advice.

Do you, or did you ever feel like your weren't good at anything but math and science? That you don't/didn't have anything interesting to say outside math or science?

#5 2006-02-01 10:25:49

mikau

ryos wrote:

No two people are not on fire.

... what does that mean? neutral

#6 2006-02-01 11:48:39

MathsIsFun
Administrator

mikau wrote:

Do you, or did you ever feel like your weren't good at anything but math and science? That you don't/didn't have anything interesting to say outside math or science?

I know exactly what you mean, the people around you are talking about the local football team, and there is just nothing you can contribute. And if you talk about math or science thay will just shake their heads and walk away. So I just try and find something interesting in what they are talking about, and generally keep quiet.

I remember that when I finished my Degree I had been studying so hard for so long, that I was useless at anything else. Then I joined a social group and went to parties, etc, and that helped a lot. I remember having tough times socially, though. But eventually I blended in (in my own unique way!)

Don't let it worry you too much ... it is possible that at the moment you are simply much more interested in what you are doing than in becoming a "social butterfly". Chances are that as you go thru life you will find other interests that will increase your social circle. Anyway, your brain is plastic, and you can mold it to some extent, so there is nothing "wrong" with you.

Oh, and remember that this is just my ramblings dizzy I am sure other people could give you much better advice smile

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#7 2006-02-01 12:33:46

ryos

Ok, make that no two people are not on fire.

More seriously, when I study most things I listen to music, but when I study Math music gets in the way. Listening to lectures or other spoken-word programs gets in the way of most things, but it actually helps while doing math!

It's like I need something to occupy one half of my brain so it will get out of the way of the other half.

#8 2006-02-01 13:34:28

Tigeree

witch two poeple ? what

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#9 2006-02-01 16:52:10

mikau

Hehehahaha! Ryos that is hilarious! Never saw that before!

#10 2006-02-01 18:10:44

Tigeree

yeah ha ha sad

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#11 2006-02-02 09:54:14

mathsyperson

I too love that one. I watched all of those a while ago, and that is most definitely my favourite email of them all. You have impeccable taste. smile

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#12 2006-02-02 17:15:26

Tigeree

ha ha ha
lol

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#13 2006-02-06 14:10:29

darthradius

OMG that was too funny....
I'm going to be saying that all day...
"some people are being fangoriously devoured by a gelatinous monster"

Anyhow, Mikau you seem to be a very personable, bright young man...It is unfortunate that you feel as though your personal relationships are a disaster...Have faith (I do!) that you will be able to establish some relationships with people who can appreciate your interests, even if they do not share them...

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
                                                             -Bertrand Russell

#14 2006-02-07 08:46:12

Zach

I spit on Strongbad!

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#15 2006-02-07 13:00:57

ryos

Some people are asking for a challenge...

Or maybe you're just jealous of his different kind of cool?

#16 2006-02-07 14:35:29

mikau

hmm... Zach and strong bad both relentlessly criticize typo's and grammatical errors. I'd say they are the same person.

And thanks darthradius for the encouragment. I hope your right.

#17 2006-02-07 20:20:52

justlookingforthemoment

mikau wrote:

hmm... Zach and strong bad both relentlessly criticize typo's and grammatical errors. I'd say they are the same person.

Hmm... and his avatar very, very, slightly resembles Strong Bad... tongue

Anyway, back to the 'imbalanced brain' stuff.

I think there are left/right side of the brain strengthening exercises. Like, you can do exercises which help the messages get passed from left to right faster or something! Balancing out your brain.

I'm not sure exactly what it's meant to do, but if you learn to juggle, you are supposedly strengthening those 'connections'. So... ah... everyone go learn to juggle! I can do three balls...

... for about ten seconds!

#18 2006-02-11 10:03:39

mikau

juggling eh? Interesting. Yeah zach's avatar looks like a negative of a photo of strongbad.

#19 2006-02-11 13:04:42

jU
Real Member

that no two people are not on fire is awsome

#20 2006-02-11 14:33:31

Tigeree

yeah thats awsome cool

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#21 2006-05-10 21:46:17

MATHSKITZO

"I read that one side of your brain is more scientific, while the other is poetic. And most people usually have one side of their brain more developed then the other. Is it possible that one side of the brain gets so big the other side gets squashed dead?"

People who are "poetic" are usually more creative. Highly creative people take longer to learn things because their minds are on so many different things constantly, and they're always looking for new ways to do things, so few of them ever get good at math because math takes a long time to learn. The creative people who actually spent the time to get good at math, are the ones who's names you read about in books.  The reason why so many mathematicians, creative or not, have hard times in social situations is because they are too intelligent to care about all the irrelevant garbage most people rant on and on about for hours!

That's my theory.

Last edited by MATHSKITZO (2006-05-10 21:47:47)

'Math is not a means to arrive at truth, Math IS the only truth!'

#22 2006-05-10 21:52:10

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi MATHSKITZO,
Welcome to the forum!
Your theory is interesting!
I don't find any reason to disagree with you smile
Your avatar is nice!
Hope to see you often in this forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#23 2006-05-11 04:05:46

Patrick
Real Member

Well, I've never really had problems with talking to people, being together with them or whatever. I do, however, have/have had a problem in common with you:How can you trust people?.. I guess the simple, yet confusing, answer has to be: You can't, but you have to... You can never know if people are telling the truth, but you have to give them a chance. If you don't, you won't ever have any friends. How old are you btw?

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#24 2006-05-11 07:14:34

stardust

I have problems talking with people. Since I started sixth form college I have found it really difficult as I am talking all sciences and maths and my friends are taking subjects like history and languages and aren't really interested in what I'm doing. When I meet new people and am asked what subjects i do, they never know what to say when i tell them I do chemistry, biology, physics and maths. It seems to be a real conversation stopper.

#25 2006-05-11 10:37:26

MATHSKITZO

I just don't have the patience for all the feigned emotion apparently required when socializing.  If I'm happy I might smile, if I'm not I don't. I think all the rituals of smiles and absolute bliss when you first meet people are completely pointless.  And I'll try not to get started on how being direct and honest has become forbidden, being replaced with subtle hints, inefficiency, political correctness, and the annoying tendancy most humans have to be a little more direct only when talking to someone other than who an issue concerns.

It's agitating to me how complacent the average human is with respect to important issues, yet the same average human reacts with such apparent passion when someone refuses to abide by or stay within the frivolous pre-determinded boundries that cause most of society to resemble the Borg from star Trek..

'Math is not a means to arrive at truth, Math IS the only truth!'

Board footer