Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#26 2013-06-03 04:13:34

bobbym
Administrator

Re: altituds

I am looking at it now. If you change AB the distance varies.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#27 2013-06-03 04:21:44

bob bundy

In my diagram and if Y is the point on AC where XY is perpendicular to AC then

AYX and AMX are congruent (SAA) so the size of AB is irrelevant.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#28 2013-06-03 04:21:51

anonimnystefy
Real Member

It does. But it stays the same as MX.

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#29 2013-06-03 04:26:05

bobbym
Administrator

MX changes too because it is a perpendicular bisector of AB. If AB lengthens MX will change too.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#30 2013-06-03 04:28:45

bob bundy

Here's my diagram.

MX is given as 9, so it cannot change.

Bob

Uploaded Images
View Image: cool.gif      

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#31 2013-06-03 04:30:09

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi bobbym

I do not think you understand me. The distance from X to AC is always the same as MX. Bob has a nice proof up there.

“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#32 2013-06-03 04:34:22

bobbym
Administrator

I am sorry, your comment in post #21 confused me. I already solved this in post#20. I thought you had found something wrong with that answer, and got mixed up.

#33 2013-06-03 04:35:24

anonimnystefy
Real Member

No, no. I just stated that we do not need the length of AB.

#34 2013-06-03 04:40:16

bobbym
Administrator

Because of the fact that Flux does not tell you when a post has been put just prior to yours, I was posting for your posts and did not see any of his!

My apologies to Bob.

#35 2013-06-03 05:55:06

bob bundy

No apology necessary.  I'm happy to have been able to provide a quick solution.  For once my pencil and paper worked more quickly than my software.  smile

Bob

Board footer