Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-02 05:51:22

ShivamS

Biological Immortality.

Is Biological Immortality actually achievable? Scientist/Futurist Ray Kurzweil believes that it may be possible in the first decades of our current century, mainly by 2025. While others state that immortality will not be achievable, although life extensions would.
Ray states that immortality can be achieved by the use of nano-technology, in which conditions we would be able to swim for 4 hours without breathing even once (that would be helpful with global warming). While there may be ways to make us biologically immortal, we would still die by trauma. By preventing our cells to decay, similar to the somatic cells, we can be immortal. Basically, you may be able to become biologically immortal in 4 ways:
Nano-technology
Brain emulation
Brain transplant by cranioectomy
Finding a way to stop cells from aging

#2 2011-09-03 10:37:18

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Biological Immortality.

There are many advances on different fronts in this area, for example telomere shortening.

Also considering that once we sequence our genes we could create new organs, etc, the only risk will be the proverbial bus.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2011-09-03 14:50:56

Tigeree

I read an article in Popular Science yesterday that said scientists inserted the blood of young mice into old mice and it had a 'rejuvenating effect' it also worked vice versa giving the young mice elderly traits.
It's not completely immortality but it probably gives them a longer life span then normal.

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#4 2011-09-03 14:53:50

Stormtangent

Well, in regard to your fourth "method" of becoming biologically immortal, I read something a while ago about some scientists that effectively stopped aging in mice livers.  Basically, as people (and mice, apparently) become older, their cells become less efficient in many ways, including the cleaning up of sometimes damaged protein.  This can lead to the buildup of toxic materials in these cells; this buildup is especially pronounced in diseases whose symptoms are mostly acquired in old age, such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and more. 

These scientists also found that more protein clearance helps prevent some of the "old-age" declines in function in mice.

Thus, if findings show that there are ways to enhance protein cleanup in humans using specific drugs or other methods, we may be able to use this same cleaning process in human livers and other organs and may well stave off the process of aging for a little while. 

There are other options that I've read about, some involving stem cells, telomere shortening as mentioned above, and more. 

With all these exciting advances, biological immortality may be achievable in the next few generations.  The real question is, do we want it?

"Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? "

#5 2011-09-04 02:00:03

ShivamS

Generations? I plan on being immortal quite soon, by the 2050's.

#6 2011-09-04 22:24:52

Tigeree

Really? I think I read something in 'Time' magazine that that'd be available by 2045... I'm not exactly sure that's just what I read on the cover. Then again, I don't even plan on being alive by that decade!

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#7 2011-09-04 23:18:49

bobbym
bumpkin

I heard 2047.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#8 2011-09-05 12:11:00

ShivamS

2050 just to be safe. Probably 2030 I suppose. Tigeree, even if you die, you can be cryogenically frozen in nitrogen oxide and possibly revived later.

#9 2011-09-05 12:17:11

Stormtangent

I heard somewhere in the 2050s, but I could be wrong.  Imagine the slogan: "Immortality in a bottle."  That would be something.  However, even if it does become possible, there are certain ethical dilemmas that could be raised.

"Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? "

#10 2011-09-07 09:14:44

ShivamS

Such as?

#11 2011-09-11 14:03:59

CT

Why would we want anything to live forever? Prolonging life artificially is a great blessing for some but it pulls on resources like: food, water, housing, energy and the increased population rate. If people were living, on average, for more than a hundred years imagine the strain that would put on our planet. I don't see any positives to it. We have enough social and economic issues today without intentionally (and literally) compounding more.

Besides, think of what type of person such technology would benefit. It won't be available in your corner drug store. I'm not against scientific/medical advance; but I'm for common sense and the greater good.

#12 2011-09-11 16:07:26

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi CT;

Welcome to the forum! And now for a another view of eternal life.

With the recent failure of the worlds medical profession to deal with the rising number of pathogens that are almost totally resistant to their antibiotics I do not think we will ever have to examine the consequences or benefits of immortality.

An alarming number of diseases that are now pandemic, freakish storms and earthquakes where there are not supposed to be any. Total exhaustion of the worlds topsoil and resources. Oxygen levels dropping and bottoming out in US cities coupled with gruesome predictions such as the Georgia guidestone. I do not think immortality is in the cards, but rather we will be more aware of our mortality in the near future.

#13 2011-09-12 14:41:44

CT

Thanks bobbym, see you've changed your picture. You relate to the stocky variety??

I'll have to look up some of the things in your second paragraph. As far as the diseases, have you heard any pharmaceutical commercials? The last 5 seconds when they list out all the side effects. A don't think all these diseases formed because they just wanted to. Ultimately, I agree with your bottom line.

#14 2011-09-12 23:24:20

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi CT;

I was not even thinking about that that. I will look for a more svelte individual as my avatar.

Unfortunately, I am well aware of the side effects of modern medicine. As far as antibiotics are concerned there is nothing but the side effects.

Those are just some of the problems. We have no clean water or uncontaminated food to drink or eat.

#15 2011-09-13 08:32:26

CT

Don't get all gussied up on my account.

However, another thing about 'immortality': scientists are studing the molecular mechanics of those insects and amphibians that freeze and thaw in winter months or in freezing temperatures. Instead of hibernating or migrating these animals freeze solid and stay like that until warmer temperatures, this can last for months (and I believe some animal in the desert stayed frozen for years, but I can't seem to find the info to support that).

#16 2011-09-13 08:39:52

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

The experts on it are mostly dead. During WWII the Nazis conducted the best research on freezing animals and people. Since they had no qualms or cares about the test subjects they were able to do things other researchers could not. They amassed a huge amount of info in the field and most of it was captured by the US and USSR. Even today most of the results remain hidden.

#17 2011-09-14 08:09:19

ShivamS

bobbym, sure you can die by trauma, but at least you will be able to be immortal to aging and disease.

#18 2011-09-14 08:12:14

bobbym
bumpkin

Not likely, pathogens evolve too. They overcome the defenses that organisms have. Take the new MRSA, colors itself to escape detection, resistant to all antibiotics.

#19 2011-10-28 05:49:06

ShivamS

bobbym wrote:

Not likely, pathogens evolve too. They overcome the defenses that organisms have. Take the new MRSA, colors itself to escape detection, resistant to all antibiotics.

The MRSA is immune to some antibiotics, not all though. In terms of epidemics, I guess it just depends if you can find an immunity to it.

#20 2011-10-28 09:33:56

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

The MRSA is immune to some antibiotics

If you are ever unlucky enough to have a run away case of it then you will find out that the above quote is not true. They literally poured them into me. The whole gamut of them. MRSA just laughed.

Funny thing is the main weapon against them is Bactrim which is nothing but a Sulfanilamide. Those were being used prior to WWII and were replaced by penicillin! That and a 2 week stay in the hospital where your doc will admit you have a 20% chance of not coming out. From an infection of a hangnail! The hospital staff felt 20% was a little low.

Oh and by the way, the number one place to catch MRSA is in a hospital! Just another skeleton that modern science is sweeping under the rug.

As far as we are told there is no evidence of any complex lifeform that is immortal anywhere in the world.

Now if you want to talk about the lunatic fringe...

#21 2011-10-28 10:06:43

ShivamS

I may be wrong but isn't MRSA only immune to beta-lactam antibiotics? Like penicillins?

#22 2011-10-28 10:17:42

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Nope! Only Vancomycin ( it is the last line of defence ) which must be delivered intravenously has around a 70% chance of arresting the infection. My mom got it from her hospital stay. If they can not eliminate it...

The point is that to many microorganisms humans are just a link in the food chain. If you have studied simplistic predator-prey models then you know if the prey population goes up then so does the predator population.

#23 2013-04-24 03:49:04

ShivamS

How is your mother now?

#24 2013-04-24 03:52:28

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

She is gone a couple of years now but not from that infection.

#25 2013-04-24 03:54:26

ShivamS

Oh, extremely apologetic for bringing the topic up.

Board footer