Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-13 17:49:36

mathdad

Re: 5 Pirates Solution is wrong - here is the real solution

anonimnystefy wrote:

I don't know if I would call the things he said namecalling, but they do seem a bit harsh. I am sure it was unintentional.

I agree, there was no name calling, other than what was implied by the statement.  I guess I found it easy to infer what he was implying.  Perhaps I misinterpreted his meaning.

#27 2013-04-13 18:30:45

mathdad

mathdad wrote:

And likewise, why is it rational?  Why does the definition of the word "rational" change because we are in the context of a puzzle?

Nehushtan wrote:

It is rational because accepting 1 gold is better than accepting none.

You have once again changed the definition of rational for the puzzle's sake.  Offering one gold in Collin's position is not a rational means of saving one's life when confronted with bloodthirsty pirates.

mathdad wrote:

Are you saying that Eddie is greedy by accepting 1 gold coin?  Is that greedy?

Nehushtan wrote:

Yes. Why shouldn’t it be?

Because you have changed the definition of greed for your own sake again.  The definition of greed should not change because we are in the context of a puzzle.

mathdad wrote:

And, tell me, by the parameters in the puzzle, how you can say that Eddie's "greed" of accepting 1 gold coin will outweigh his bloodthirstiness?

Nehushtan wrote:

And what has that got to do with the puzzle? Here you go making up more of your own stuff!

Again, the puzzle set the stage, and the pirates are described as bloodthirsty.  You have chosen to ignore what has been stated in the puzzle.  If the pirates are not bloodthirsty, then explain why Collin must offer Eddie 1 Gold?  Without the pirates being bloodthirsty, then there in no reason for Collin to offer even 1 Gold to Eddie.  Collin should be able to keep all 100 for himself by your logic.

anonimnystefy wrote:

I don't know if I would call the things he said namecalling, but they do seem a bit harsh. I am sure it was unintentional.

Nehushtan wrote:

Not as harsh as the arrogance of some people, strutting into a forum as a complete newbie and stranger and declaring: “Look here: you’re wrong, I’m right!”

Arrogance has nothing to do with it.  I wanted the opportunity to debate the solution with like minded individuals.  The title was chosen to stimulate intelligent debate.  If you see me as arrogant, and are offended, then you are in control of your own destiny.  You can choose to ignore my post and move on.  Yet you stay here, because it seems you want to start a fight of some sort.

Now, the name calling has begun, you called me arrogant.  I will not fight with you, and name calling on an online forum is useless.

You are dead set on disagreeing with me despite what is rational, intelligent and logical in the context of this puzzle because you are angry with me for some reason.

I enjoy logic puzzles, that is why I came here.  Finding the solutions and considering the problems stimulates my brain - I find it fun.

The fact that I am a newb, and haven't posted before is irrelevant.  What - newbs can't have fun without paying homage to the elders?

The solution to this puzzle had a link offering the ability to "discuss the solution" on the forum.  That is all I did, and all I wanted.

I guess I'm done for now.  This is no longer any fun.

#28 2013-04-13 19:02:02

Nehushtan

mathdad wrote:

You have once again changed the definition of rational for the puzzle's sake.  Offering one gold in Collin's position is not a rational means of saving one's life when confronted with bloodthirsty pirates.

I have changed nothing. You are the one who is having the obsession about Colin’s death wish – which has nothing to do with the puzzle. Why isn’t it rational for Eddie to accept 1 gold when otherwise he would have no gold? Not only is it rational of Eddie, it is rational of Colin too. Colin would like to keep all 100 gold but he can’t – he’ll be outvoted and thrown overboard. However, by offering 1 gold to Eddie, he can ensure he won’t be outvoted and thus save his life.

mathdad wrote:

Because you have changed the definition of greed for your own sake again.  The definition of greed should not change because we are in the context of a puzzle.

Change what definition? “Greedy” here simply means taking as much as one can get – even if it means taking only 1 gold as opposed to nothing.

mathdad wrote:

Again, the puzzle set the stage, and the pirates are described as bloodthirsty.

Only they are more greedy than bloodthirsty – whereas you seem hellbent on thinking it’s the other way round.

mathdad wrote:

The title was chosen to stimulate intelligent debate.

The title gives the impression that you think you are right and everybody else is wrong. That is not the way to stimulate intelligent debate! dizzy

240 books currently added on Goodreads

#29 2013-04-13 20:32:14

mathdad

Here is what you refuse to consider, but it is right there:

Pretend that I was just Eddie.  I have reasoned this out for myself.  I have shown how this puzzle will go.  I don't need to consider what will happen in step 3 because I won't let it get that far.

I am not going to get stuck with just one coin.

I will accept Alex's proposal if he makes the correct one. 

Now, I am Billy.  I too have reasoned this out.  I will also accept Alex's proposal if he makes the correct one.

Now, I am Alex.  I will die if I don't get this right.  I don't have a death wish.  I have just reasoned this out.  I will offer Billy 50 and Eddie 50.

For if I don't, I will die.

My only rational decision is to make the best offer I can to save my life.

If I was Eddie, I too would extort the maximum that I could get from Alex
If I was Billy, I too would extort the maximum that I could get from Alex

I am Alex and I have no choice but to offer each of them 50, because I I'll die if I don't.  Heck, if I was them, I'd kill me too if I didn't offer them each 50.

That's just how it goes.  At least I'll still have my life.

#30 2013-04-13 20:39:38

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Two complaints lodged against this thread. Thread closed pending a decision by MIF.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#31 2013-04-13 21:46:17

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Probably best for this thread to be closed before it gets out of hand.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer