Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-13 06:57:37

Lahbennett84

Long division help :(

Can some one please help me, im trying to learn long division.
on one of the worksheets its 11 divided by 1012 no matter how many times i do long division i just cant get the right answer. can someone show me how to do it and simplify it all so i can understand how the answer is what the answer is please?

thank you

#2 2013-04-13 07:10:59

Nehushtan

Re: Long division help :(

Are you sure you want 11 divided by 1012 rather than 1012 divided by 11?

240 books currently added on Goodreads

#3 2013-04-13 07:49:30

Lahbennett84

11 is the divisor and 1012 is the dividend

#4 2013-04-13 07:57:59

Bob
Administrator

hi Lynne

As you're just learning long division I think you mean 1012 divided by 11, not the other way round.

So here's a way to remember what to do.

Let's imagine you and your 10 other bank robbers have just made off with the loot, £1012.  Not much but never mind.  So now you want to split it equally between  11 people.

Imagine it's a £1000 note, no hundreds, 1 tenner and 2 pounds.

Can you share out the £1000 ?  No unless you tear it up.

So swap it for ten £100 notes.  Can you split those beween 11 ?  Still no.

So swap those for one hundred £10 notes.  Add on the one £10 you already had.  That's 101 £10 notes in all.  Can you split those ?  Yes, because 11 x 90 makes £990, (or 11 x 9 makes 99 if you prefer but remember we're working with tenners)  so you can give each person nine £10 notes and have just two £10 notes over.

Swap those for twenty £1 coins and add on the other two.  That makes £22.  Share those.  £2 each

Altogether the haul divides up as £92 each.

Proper diagram below.  Click it to see it full size.

Hope that helps.  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2013-04-13 08:29:26

SteveB

If 1012 was the dividend and 11 the divisor then it is certainly 1012 divided by 11 not the other way round.

11 divided by 1012 is a very difficult division to do if you are new to long division.
Long division is actually very similar to short division, the only real difference is that in long division you display the multiples
of the divisor clearly in the division as well as the remainders. If you try the division using short division you will actually see
that the remainders at each stage are the same. Bob is correct with the remainders, but extremely strictly speaking it is not
quite right because the first two rather trivial stages in which a zero is obtained in the division have been left out.

Strictly speaking you should first try to do 1 divided by 11 which is zero remainder 1. The zero from the result is a put up the
top in the answer part and a zero is put below the 1. Then a zero is dropped down and the 1 will now have the appearance of
a ten (if you think about it 1 thousand is equal to 10 hundreds). Then we try to do 10 divided by 11. The result is zero with
a remainder of 10 (10 - 0 = 10). Then drop another number down which is a 1. The ten is in effect promoted by a factor of
ten to 100 because ten hundreds is the same as 100 tens and the dropped down 1 makes it 101. Then we do 101 divided by 11.
This is a bit more interesting.

Here we go into the bit that Bob has done with the use of the fact that 9 x 11 = 99 so therefore 101 divided by 11 gives us
9 (the number of times 11 goes into the number) and a remainder of 2.   
9 is put in the answer at the top.
The 2 is 2 tens and this is 20 units when we drop down the next digit which is 2 we get 22.   
22 divided by 11 is 2.
The result is that we have an exact answer. So no need for decimals here. If a remainder results at the end then you can
add a decimal place and continue dropping down zeros (that is another story). Here because we have an exact answer and
all of the non trivial numbers have been dealt with the answer is given.
I have decided to include my version of this for completeness, but it is very similar to Bob's diagram. The only real difference
is the rather trivial bit at the beginning where we get zero multiples of 11 and just drop another digit of 1012 down.

#6 2013-04-13 09:22:43

Lahbennett84

thank you ever so much this has helped me absolutley loads to understand long division now!
thank you thank you!!!

also is there any worksheets with mixed questions with long division and long multiplication on? thanks x

#7 2013-04-13 09:24:15

Bob
Administrator

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#8 2013-04-13 09:27:28

Bob
Administrator

#9 2013-04-13 09:54:38

Lahbennett84

thank you bob smile

would u also know if when you take GCSE you can use a calculator and show your working out or if you cant use a calculator at all?

xx

#10 2013-04-13 11:03:46

Bob
Administrator

hi Lynne,

There are three exam boards that offer GCSE maths:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/by … tatistics/

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse1 … fault.aspx

Specifications can change a little from year to year so you need to check you are looking at the most up-to-date version.

Because of the constraints of the National Curriculum there is not a lot of difference between them as far as maths is concerned.

They all have two levels, foundation and higher.  They all have a calculator paper and a non-calculator paper.

Because the N. Curriculum requires that candidates can use a non calculator method for long multiplication and division,  these get tested on the non-calculator paper.

Most exam centres are in schools.  A school is only likely to use one of the boards.  They will accept external candidates. I'm not sure how the charges for this are worked out.

You can usually download some past papers from the board websites for free.

Bob

Board footer