Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-30 20:55:57

Math0rz

Maths Talent Quest Topic

[I'm not sure if this is the right section of this forum to post this topic in. I apologise if I've posted in the wrong section and mods please move this to the right place.]

Anyways, hi everyone. I just signed up although I've been lingering around this forum for a while.
At my school we have 8 maths classes. The top 2 math groups are required to do the Maths Talent Quest. The competition started today and everyone brainstormed on their topics. I guess I'm the only one that hasn't thought up of a topic to do my project on. So I came and signed up, seeing if someone would help me. big_smile
I'm 15 so the topic shouldn't be too complicated but we are currently doing some stuff a year ahead of us.
Any ideas are appreciated!! waveup

Last edited by Math0rz (2006-01-30 20:56:35)

#2 2006-01-30 21:22:32

kempos

Re: Maths Talent Quest Topic

difficult to recomend anything, at least for me. But i'm sure here are some guys who will be able to help.

#3 2006-01-30 21:45:47

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Is this something to do with it: http://www.mav.vic.edu.au/studact/mtq.htm ? (that is the 2005 page)

Anyway, if you are after topics, you could investigate lots of things.

Some ideas to start off with: Prime Numbers, Fibonacci, Fractals, Tessellations, Probability, Properties of Triangles, Parabolas, Proofs of Pythagoras Theorem, Imaginary Numbers

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2006-01-30 22:09:02

justlookingforthemoment

Hi, Math0rz, you're starting the competition pretty early! It's only the just start of term one!

And Rod, yes, that's the right page (it has the right information but think it's for Victoria though)... I've entered this competition many times before, and we have it at my school.

Now, Math0rz... there are hundreds of topics to choose from... but you need to choose a topic that you're interested in. You're not going to get it finished it you don't do something you like. So, choose a subject you want to find out more about and look for the maths in it. Once you have a good topic, you'll start seeing maths everywhere! I remember once, our teacher told us to give him any topic we wanted, and that he would be able to create a maths project around that topic. He succeeded, too.

It could be anything from your family's new kitchen renovation to planning a trip to the moon. Also, remember that it's not all just maths, and that presentation counts too.

MathsIsFun already suggested some good topics, and you may also want to look at the previous Winning Entry Titles (here and here) to spark your imagination.

#5 2006-01-30 22:37:22

Math0rz

Thankyou everyone for the ideas, especially you justlookingforthemoment.
Yes, it is quite early but the teacher recomended us to start early. I really don't mind what topic but I am interested in computers. smile. Although, the only mathematical side to computers I can think of now is binary and I'm not even that sure that I can do something good with binary. (Sorry, don't have a very clear mind right now. This Latin homework is really tough sad )
Anyway, so computers are my main interest. I'll think of more mathematical topics relating to computers after I finish my Latin homework but ideas are still being accepted! big_smile

Last edited by Math0rz (2006-01-30 22:38:39)

Board footer