Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-10 07:11:39

ShivamS

Regarding my return

Hello everyone. As you may recall, I am Shivam and have been fairly inactive in the recent times (especially due to the whole university transfer process). I am now successfully placed in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Rogers Web Key still works in the US). Nowadays, I seem to have more time and plan to be more active on this forum.

Last edited by ShivamS (2014-03-14 03:04:56)

#2 2013-02-10 07:30:01

Bob
Administrator

Re: Regarding my return

hi Shivam

Welcome back.  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2013-02-10 07:36:45

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi Shivam

Great to hear from you again! smile

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#4 2013-02-10 07:39:41

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Shivamcoder3013;

How have you been?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2013-02-10 07:55:30

ShivamS

Hello Bob, Bobbym and Stefy. Been faring fairly well I suppose. The midterm exam is coming soon, so preparing has begun!

Last edited by ShivamS (2014-03-14 03:05:09)

#6 2013-02-10 07:59:09

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Study hard for them. Nothing beats being prepared.

#7 2013-02-10 08:04:20

ShivamS

Unless you have an absentminded professor allowing you to cheat.

#8 2013-02-10 08:08:33

bobbym
bumpkin

I know you are kidding. Regarding cheating, I was the laziest and worst student that ever stood upright and resembled a human being. And even I never cheated.

#9 2013-02-10 08:12:50

ShivamS

I seem to think that you are somewhat in proximity of 92 years of age. Considering that, with the fact that you have near 50000 posts related to advanced mathematical, scientific and humanities-related concepts, (plus about 5000 other communicative posts) in merely the time span from 2010-2013, you do not seem to have been at any point of time a lazy and/or bad student. As for resembling a human being, I cannot comment on physical appearance alone.

Last edited by Shivamcoder3013 (2013-02-10 08:18:23)

#10 2013-02-10 08:16:11

bobbym
bumpkin

That is a good point. I am not really lazy. I like the forum so I am here. I did not like school so I was somewhere else.

#11 2013-02-10 08:21:48

ShivamS

I do not believe that you can be active on this forum, while gaining the respect of being an intelligent man, without receiving a proper education from school (I would imply that in your youth, the sheer length of technological advancement would be fairly low, hence leaving no chance for being self-educated through the Internet (Moreover, Tim Berners Lee was probably not alive at that point). Books could have been a source of intelligence, however it would not fully equip you with the maturity received through school.

#12 2013-02-10 08:29:29

bobbym
bumpkin

That is interesting but I disagree with much of that.

If I gave you two scenarios, one in which I had a first rate education or another in which I am totally self taught, you would choose?

#13 2013-02-10 08:38:53

ShivamS

The generation is what I would be most dependent upon. Currently, I would pick self-taught. That is because there are ~15 hours in a day where we are inactive, if we had no educational establishment to visit. 15 hours a day reading educational books, productive online articles et would most definitely make you more intelligent then school. In the past however, schools were more rigorous, there were fewer educational resources etc. However of course, combining both 4 hours of school and ~8 hours of self-teaching would make you an intelligent person of likes not seen by anyone. And as you know, if there were fewer officially educated persons (being educated from schools), we would have become extinct a long, long time ago, at a galaxy close, close at hand.

#14 2013-02-10 09:00:18

bobbym
bumpkin

In the past however, schools were more rigorous, there were fewer educational resources etc.

First of all this self taught person would need to come from a family that had a father who was brilliant. He would have to sit around the table from when he was around 4 - 5 years old and have discussions with his father and grandfather.
He would have needed to have been raised differently then the other kids of his time and he needed to not go to a US public school.

This kid would have spent much of his time in the library reading. When he was home he was experimenting with chemistry sets, microscopes and electronics. When other kids were given toys he was given books to read and chess sets to play with the adults.

He would have needed a high IQ, over 150. That era was perfect for producing many children like that. Now the question is how could anyone confuse that kid with me?

#15 2013-02-10 09:15:35

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Shivamcoder3013 wrote:

The generation is what I would be most dependent upon. Currently, I would pick self-taught. That is because there are ~15 hours in a day where we are inactive, if we had no educational establishment to visit. 15 hours a day reading educational books, productive online articles et would most definitely make you more intelligent then school. In the past however, schools were more rigorous, there were fewer educational resources etc. However of course, combining both 4 hours of school and ~8 hours of self-teaching would make you an intelligent person of likes not seen by anyone. And as you know, if there were fewer officially educated persons (being educated from schools), we would have become extinct a long, long time ago, at a galaxy close, close at hand.

First of all, studying 15 hours a day, online or not, would most surely make your head explode.

Second, I do not agree that the combination is surely going to produce a more capable (intentionally not using the word intelligent) person. Look at bobby. He is self-taught and he turned out very good mathematics-wise.

Third, I am not sure what you mean by an educated person. We managed to survive as cavemen, so eventually, even if we did have less educated persons than we do now, that would eventually change.

Fourth, I must say that I am getting very existential as of late. From time to time, I wonder if anything anyone does makes any sense, knowing that in a billion years (a long time, indeed, but real) the Sun will "explode", bringing the existence of life, and humans with it, to an end. Even if we do survive that, somehow, eventually we will die out and all we did will be lost. Nothing is forever.

Sorry for the morbid thoughts, but I've had that thought for a short while now.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#16 2013-02-10 09:21:21

bobbym
bumpkin

I am opposed to that viewpoint. I first heard of it in a book by Robert Ringer. It is a modern ploy to justify any course of action because it does not matter what we do. As if our sun is what we are.

I am not saying this is your opinion but I have noticed that certain unscrupulous lizards have been spreading that to the young in the hopes of influencing them.

That bobby fellow sure sounds impressive and I would like to meet him someday.

Last edited by bobbym (2013-02-11 01:13:25)

#17 2013-02-10 09:25:32

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Well, I think him and I have different views. He wants to justify any action. I am thinking more that any action is just insignificant, but not justifiable.

I am sure you will meet bobby. Maybe if you heat up some sand...

#18 2013-02-10 09:30:55

bobbym
bumpkin

Your actions are not insignificant. If you remember the basis for the butterfly effect you will see that even the tiny fluctuations of a butterflies wings in Beijing can make storms in New York City.

Heat up some sand?

Look at bobby. He is self-taught and he turned out very good mathematics-wise.

No one is self taught. He had lots of good teachers. Most of them were not in classrooms.

If he appears at times good at math it is an illusion. Remember, he is all smoke and mirrors, this is a consequence of the Feynman effect.

Last edited by bobbym (2013-02-10 09:48:39)

#19 2013-02-10 11:06:15

Mathegocart

Shivamcoder3013 wrote:

sad..

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

Board footer