Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-08 22:06:37

sparticus
Banned

What do you think about that?

This seems very interesting. what I have seen is that most of the children of our time does not know about the basic rules about adding subtracting etc. I am very big fan of technology but this is not the god use of technology. Calculators though is not as fresh but still use of such devices in this age harming their capability of learning. What I want to discuss here is the children should no be allowed to use calculator in early ages they must know the basic rules of math.

<advert removed by moderator>

Last edited by sparticus (2013-01-11 16:03:08)

Huawei

#2 2013-01-08 23:24:58

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: What do you think about that?

Hi sparticus

Welcome to the forum! smile

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2013-01-08 23:29:25)

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#3 2013-01-09 00:25:54

Bob
Administrator

hi sparticus

children should no be allowed to use calculator in early ages they must know the basic rules of math

I thought that too.  But my son (at age 6) showed me another way of looking at it.  We had bought him a four function calculator as he was good at basic + - x and  ÷

Just by playing around with it, he taught himself all the properties of negative numbers.  I hadn't planned for that to happen but it showed me that you can use a calculator to help teach things.  When we got him a scientific calc, he learnt how to use all the buttons and what they meant.  And it happened again when we got him a graphical display calc.

My advice to students when they get a new one, is to spend some time playing around with it to learn all it can do.  You can, for instance, learn the rules of BODMAS (BIDMAS) just by doing this.

So I now think using a calculator can help learning if it is used correctly.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2013-01-09 04:28:46

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

What I want to discuss here is the children should no be allowed to use calculator in early ages they must know the basic rules of math.

I think you will find in most cases that those same children can not use a calculator either. They have not replaced arithmetic, they have dropped it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer