Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-16 16:50:17

firestag

Help...

Hello I will be going to high school after this summer and I never realy went to school before(I homeschooled all my life) and I'll have to get to the high school system...Like tests and stuff coul danyone tell me what kind of stuff they did?:dunno

#2 2006-01-16 17:16:59

mikau

Re: Help...

Hey, dude! I was homeschooled too! But I had to teach myself highschool math. So I guess that also makes me self schooled.

I know the feeling. I'm probably going to go into a college this fall and I've never set foot in a classroom. Scary stuff! x_x

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#3 2006-01-16 18:10:56

firestag

Yeah mostly I self school my self.
But I'm very nervous  about highschool.

#4 2006-01-16 18:35:00

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I guess it really depends on the high school, or the college in mikau's case. If it is a good one, then you will really enjoy yourself.

I did correspondence in my late teens because my family was travelling. I then went straight to Uni. I remember being impressed with all the gear in the laboratories.

It can be hard at first as you catch up on areas you may have missed out on (note: if you are ahead in one area it doesn't seem to balance what you are behind in)

And socially I had some catching up, because I knew nobody, but nearly everyone else had one or two friends there already. But after a few weeks I had a circle of friends and it was great!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2006-01-16 18:53:12

ryos

Hoo...umm...what kinds of stuff I did...well...I quit.

In the middle of my junior year, I couldn't take the inanity any longer and I quit. Read a lot of library books for a year or so, then went to college. I'm now studying Chemical Engineering and doing fine. smile

So I guess I'm the opposite of you; I grew up schooled and finished homeschooled.

But don't worry, a lot of people aren't like me. They loved high school for some reason. There's nothing to say you can't be one of them.

Don't worry about tests. Tests are a piece of cake, especially in High School. Just pay attention when your teacher's talking. They generally go over things so many times that it's hard not to remember them when you take the test.

With tests, fear is your enemy. Fear degrades your ability to reason and remember things. I'm sure you'll find before too long that there's really nothing to worry about anyway.

Being a homeschooler, you know how you learn best. High school will force you to learn how some crock-brained educational theorist thinks you should learn. They will try to make you work harder than you need to in order to learn the material. The trick is to somehow do their way your way, and not let the busywork get you down.

What am I talking about? I failed at that so dramatically that I'm not even sure if it's possible.

I'm trying to be reassuring. I really am. I wish you the best of luck and hope you're successful and stuff.

El que pega primero pega dos veces.

#6 2006-01-16 19:20:22

mikau

"What am I talking about? I failed at that so dramatically that I'm not even sure if it's possible." lol. Thats pretty cool you dropped out and taught yourself.

A lot of people who are serious about learning seem to prefer college to highschool. In college, kids are there because they chose to go there. In high school, they're there because they're required by law. Of course theres always the idiot who goes to college to party it up and all but they usually don't last long since there grades are bad.  At least thats what I heard.

"High school will force you to learn how some crock-brained educational theorist thinks you should learn."

Eek! Crock brained teachers? Sometimes I'm really glad I was homeschooled....

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#7 2006-01-16 19:37:54

ryos

"Eek! Crock brained teachers? Sometimes I'm really glad I was homeschooled...."

Not teachers. Theorists. Administrators. Curriculum writers. Higher-ups. You know, The Man. Even an amazing teacher can only do so much with the system (s)he's given.

Teachers sometimes, too. I'd say about half the time, actually.

El que pega primero pega dos veces.

#8 2006-01-17 03:14:03

Ricky

A lot of people who are serious about learning seem to prefer college to highschool. In college, kids are there because they chose to go there. In high school, they're there because they're required by law. Of course theres always the idiot who goes to college to party it up and all but they usually don't last long since there grades are bad.  At least thats what I heard.

The vast majority succeed in doing both.  Myself included.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#9 2006-01-17 06:49:00

firestag

Thank you everybody.
Mom says I can drop out of high school if i want and self school myself but Ithink i am going to give it a try.:)

#10 2006-01-17 07:32:58

Zach

Dropping out is failure.
Failure is weakness.
Weakness spawns fear.
Fear spawns rebellion.
Rebellion is only there to be crushed by the strong.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#11 2006-01-17 07:39:20

firestag

Not realy.
I could drop out and learn more.dunno

#12 2006-01-17 20:16:35

justlookingforthemoment

Everyone finds school challenging in different ways and people have their own ways of dealing with it. There's not much more to be said really...

With tests, make sure you know exactly what will be in it, and what you need to learn. Then, all you can do is revise and basically just know your stuff. If you haven't had much experience with tests, it might be a good idea to do some practise completing set tasks in time limits.

You may get assignments, and don't leave them to the last minute. You'll need to have good time management and prioritise your work. Be organised!

Even if school gets hard, keep going and I'm sure it will be worthwhile. Good luck with whatever happens. smile

Board footer