Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-06 18:25:58

cmowla

Problem with adding links to posts.

Hi Admin,

There is no help/support/suggestion forum, nor do I see a private messaging service or any type of contact admin. option. 

So...

I've been told that non-members (I'm assuming that means people with less than 10 posts or guests) cannot post links.

I have 10 posts now, and my status has changed to "member."  However, I still am not allowed to post links.  What's wrong?

#2 2012-07-06 21:50:12

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Problem with adding links to posts.

Hi cmowla;

The 10 post rule is not the only thing. There is a mandatory time limit too. In the meantime just let me know what you would like to post a link to. I will do it until you can by yourself.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2012-07-07 01:02:10

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

May I know a greater details about the titles Novice, Member, Full Member, Star Member, Power Member, Legendary Member?
How many posts are required to achieve them?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#4 2012-07-07 01:10:12

Bob
Administrator

If you list the members by number of posts you can work it out.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2012-07-07 01:28:39

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

And how to list them?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#6 2012-07-07 02:59:39

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

#7 2012-07-07 04:51:26

cmowla

bobbym wrote:

The 10 post rule is not the only thing. There is a mandatory time limit too. In the meantime just let me know what you would like to post a link to. I will do it until you can by yourself.

A mandatory time limit?  What does that mean exactly?  I have to have the title of "member" for a certain period of time?

Also, how do I let you know what I want to post?  I can't find a way to contact anyone here.

Also, as the Administrator, don't you have control over the rules?  I wouldn't mind being on "probation", and if I post any spam links, I'll ban myself.  (Just look at the quality of my posts.  Why isn't that taken into account?)

Agnishom wrote:

May I know a greater details about the titles Novice, Member, Full Member, Star Member, Power Member, Legendary Member?
How many posts are required to achieve them?

I did what Bob bundy said a couple of days ago to figure this out, but it still wasn't clear to me entirely.  Here's my guess:

Novice 0-9
Member 10-49
Full Member 50-249
Power Member 250-999

"Real Member" is throughout all categories.  Paid contribution maybe?

Last edited by cmowla (2012-07-07 04:53:19)

#8 2012-07-07 05:15:58

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi cmowla;

I have to have the title of "member" for a certain period of time?

Yes, I believe there is some time period involved too. It is not very long.

Also, how do I let you know what I want to post?  I can't find a way to contact anyone here.

You are contacting me right now. Just describe to me what you want, what site, what picture and I will post the link.

Also, as the Administrator, don't you have control over the rules?

There is another administrator here. He is the founder and owner of the site. Things run smoother with one boss. He is that guy.

(Just look at the quality of my posts.  Why isn't that taken into account?)

I do not feel that you are waiting to spam the heck out of the site. Rules are very rigid and do not make exceptions. That is why I have offered to assist you over this rough spot.

"Real Member" is throughout all categories.  Paid contribution maybe?

Real members are a special type of member with special privileges. They are appointed by MIF.

If you want the breakdown on post count for each type of member I will post it. Just let me know.

#9 2012-07-07 06:11:15

cmowla

Well, I guess I'll wait for MIF to see this thread and respond to the following, since you have answered my questions.

bobbym wrote:
cmowla wrote:

I have to have the title of "member" for a certain period of time?

Yes, I believe there is some time period involved too. It is not very long.

How long exactly (I'm not being impatient, I just feel that the specifics of the information being given is very unspecific)?  Besides, a specific answer will help those in the future who read this thread.  (Maybe it or a formal post by you or MIF or one of the moderators should be made as a sticky to explain the rules for new members...I didn't see it in the rules section.)

bobbym wrote:
cmowla wrote:

You are contacting me right now. Just describe to me what you want, what site, what picture and I will post the link.

So in my posts, I can, for example, put a sentence at the beginning of the post asking you to convert all of my descriptions of links (including [img]image link[/img]) into links?  If so, I will do that if I really would prefer to have a link in my posts instead of a description, but I hope once MIF sees this conversation and does something so that he can save you that trouble.  smile

I have recently joined the wolframalpha community, and they seem to be very cautious towards spam too (but very extreme when compared to here):  they won't even let a post be displayed until they've read it, which is very annoying (because if you make a typo or forgot to add something, you have to wait hours or sometimes days before you even can see or edit your post--not to mention that people are waiting on a response already).  I think these anit-spam preventions are taking things too far.  I feel like the majority of us are being penalized because a few members have abused the system.

As for this forum's rules,
What's the difference if someone is a member for one hour or let's say 1 week (just guessing what the time limit is).  If that person wants to spam, he's going to whenever is allowed to.  Chances are, if someone joins the site, he/she is probably going to post ten things the first day he/she joins so that (in theory...which isn't reality since there is also a time limit) he/she can then post spam links.  I highly doubt those who join just for the purposes of spamming are going to have the patience to be a member (as in just joining and being a "novice") more than a minute to find out that they cannot spam.  In fact, I don't think a spammer is going to have the patience to post 10 intelligent conversation posts before he/she can "show his/her 'true' motive".

So I don't mind the post number rule (just to get rid of the "quick and easy" first post = spam rule), but I think the post number rule and the time limit rule actually have a negative effect on almost all members who join.  Reason:  it is perfectly normal in conversation on the internet to post links even in the middle of sentences.  Why should we expect to have more active members if the first thing they see is "you cannot post links because we cannot trust you yet" when they try to make a post?  That made me feel like I was just hired for a job, and I'm on probation...yeah, a very warm welcome.  In fact, it is an insult to everyone but the spammers, despite that you guys did give me (and I have noticed almost all--if not all posting members) a warm welcome in writing when we did our first post.

I hate being so blunt, especially in public (it is as if I was intentionally trying to insult or embarrass you all in front of everyone who has access to the internet), but I wasn't given any other way of contact so I hope none of this is taken the wrong way. smile

Last edited by cmowla (2012-07-07 06:19:01)

#10 2012-07-07 06:39:15

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I feel like the majority of us are being penalized because a few members have abused the system.

The internet is bombarded by over 30 billion pieces of spam per day. There are currently over 15 million known spammers, the number increases by a half million per day. Wolfram is wise to implement those restrictions. I have seen forums wiped out by spammers. I have over 125,000 targeting this forum daily.

The time limit that MIF has determined is a secret. We do not want spammers to know how long they have to wait before striking.

but I hope once MIF sees this conversation and does something so that he can save you that trouble.

It is no trouble for me. I will help with all your needs.

In fact, I don't think a spammer is going to have the patience to post 10 intelligent conversation posts before he/she can "show his/her 'true' motive"

Many spammers are bots that post canned messages. They are improving all the time. I deal with about 30 per day who actually come into the forum. Before some defenses were improved that number was over 300 per day.

That made me feel like I was just hired for a job, and I'm on probation...yeah, a very warm welcome.

That I am sorry for. I can do nothing to prevent that. Still, until you have met some of our more interesting members you have not been burned in yet.

In fact, it is an insult to everyone but the spammers,

Your focus determines your reality. Your perception of things will create it. I will say that there is no insult intended only that defensive measures are needed so that there can be a forum to be insulted on.

I hate being so blunt, especially in public (it is as if I was intentionally trying to insult or embarrass you all in front of everyone who has access to the internet)

I do not embarass easily and MIF is even more difficult to upset. I do not mind you speaking your mind. That is the purpose of the forum. I will give a message to MIF to look here.

This is the first bunch of posts we have exchanged so welcome to the forum!

#11 2012-07-07 08:14:44

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Interesting arguments. They are so good they deserve to be moved to the Suggestions and Comments forum that is meant for this kind of stuff. smile

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#12 2012-07-07 10:25:58

bobbym
bumpkin

to be moved to the Suggestions and Comments forum that is meant for this kind of stuff

Of course I will move it.

Hi cmowla;

I have sent a pm to MIF regarding your issues.

#13 2012-07-07 10:31:51

cmowla

bobbym wrote:

Hi cmowla;

I have sent a pm to MIF regarding your issues.

Thanks!  I appreciate that!

#14 2012-07-07 19:30:46

MathsIsFun
Administrator

What bobyym says is right. If we can't protect the forum from spammers then we are lost.

So we introduced "low level" limits such as number of posts and time (reluctantly).

Having said that, the forum is still open to new people posting questions and making comments.

Maybe one day governments will see spammers and hackers as the enemy of the people and direct more resources to catching them in real life. Then our freedoms will increase.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#15 2012-12-25 19:27:24

mathaholic

Bobbym, what is the mandatory time limit? rolleyes

Mathaholic | 10th most active poster | Maker of the 350,000th post | Person | rrr's classmate
smile

#16 2012-12-25 20:54:20

bobbym
bumpkin

The limits are set by MIF and to tell the truth even I do not know exactly to the day. I think he told me but I forgot. Should be soon for you.

#17 2012-12-30 19:36:53

mathaholic

Bobbym, I can post links now.
www.google.com

Mathaholic | 10th most active poster | Maker of the 350,000th post | Person | rrr's classmate
smile

#18 2012-12-31 01:56:43

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi julianthemath;

Yes, I know. Have a good Holiday and do not drink and drive.

#19 2012-12-31 12:13:27

mathaholic

Yeah, you too!
It is already January here!

smile

#20 2012-12-31 12:18:04

bobbym
bumpkin

It is still December here.

#21 2012-12-31 14:13:47

mathaholic

sad

smile

Board footer