Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#101 2012-11-23 20:27:59

Calligar

Re: help me

Why would you want to treat him any differently or not?  If I told you I had it, would that change how you treat me just because you didn't know I had it before?

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

#102 2012-11-23 20:32:34

bobbym
bumpkin

That is what I am saying. It means nothing to me any more than if he said he had a bad back. I would say, I am sorry to hear that and not draw any large social conclusions from it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#103 2012-11-23 20:32:47

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Nothing…
I am just speaking my heart's content
I am sorry if you mind

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#104 2012-11-23 20:34:40

bobbym
bumpkin

I do not mind. I told you speak freely. I am speaking my heart too in saying do not fill your head with what a quiz said or with your own conclusions. You are not a doctor, until one looks at you I assume you do not have any such thing.

#105 2012-11-23 20:37:19

Calligar

Huh?  I'm only asking out of curiosity, you shouldn't doubt yourself because people don't believe in you.  Just more trying to figure out what you mean because I don't think I quite understood everything you meant when you said ...

Agnishom wrote:

I heard about that novel called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night Time" from my father when I was around 7
The nature of the protagonist intrigued me

Then I read the full novel for the first time when I was 10 but I didn't understand everything
I read the book again around 10 months ago and found more similarities between the protagonist and me and then found that That is called The Asperger's syndrome

There are a number of things which I do or which I have done and I think that theory about me fits in the most

From the idea I got, you are saying you have aspergers because of your similarity to the protagonist in the book, and noticing those similarities somehow indicates you might have aspergers.  I didn't feel I had a correct understanding unless this is what you meant?

But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle

#106 2012-11-23 20:38:53

Calligar

Oh!  Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what he meant there too...

#107 2012-11-23 20:40:04

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Agnishom;

If you had it I would not think anything about it and I would still like talking to you, that is all I meant.

#108 2012-11-23 20:43:28

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Maybe I am incorrect
E.g, I thought that I suffered from Hyperthyroidism last year. But the medical tests disproved it

Now, Please dont start thinking that I am a Hypochondriac

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#109 2012-11-23 20:44:39

bobbym
bumpkin

I do not know what else to think. But I do not mind.

#110 2012-11-23 20:46:34

Calligar

No don't worry, I don't.  I'm still curious why you think you thought you might have aspergers though.  Bobbym, why do you think he is a hypochondriac?  I've seen lots of people that think they have things and self-diagnose themselves.  Usually I tend to disagree with them, but you really believe he might be one, he didn't seem that obsessive to me...?

Last edited by Calligar (2012-11-23 20:48:40)

#111 2012-11-23 20:51:59

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Hi bobbym,
Thats nice to hear smile

Hi Calligar,
May be can't explain it properly enough but however I seriously believe it

And I am not hypochondriac at all
I don't care even if I have had Hyper-thyroidism

Asperger's Syndrome is something I know I have.
But that doesn't matter at all and I am happy to be the way I am

Last edited by Agnishom (2012-11-23 20:55:23)

#112 2012-11-23 20:54:42

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Calligar;

Bobbym, why do you think he is a hypochondriac?

That was a joke, he mentioned it so I was being funny.

#113 2012-11-23 20:57:33

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

At this moment I think I have one and only one attitude which shows that I am NOT an Aspie

However, all my other attitudes point that I am

But I am very much happy the way I am

Last edited by Agnishom (2012-11-23 21:00:30)

#114 2012-11-23 20:59:46

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

If you prefer me to think of you like that I will. If that will make you happy then consider it done. Now let's talk.

#115 2012-11-23 21:04:05

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

big_smile LOL
smile Thanks for your support @bobbym and @Calligar,

#116 2012-11-23 21:05:28

bobbym
bumpkin

Now how about that box?

#117 2012-11-23 21:07:06

Calligar

Okay, well I can understand certain things might be hard to explain.  There are still things I have difficulty explaining myself.  I would like to stress though having aspergers is more then just simply being, "different."  Arguably, that's what a lot of psychology is about, is defining all the differences between people, to greater or less extents.  Though, that isn't quite what I mean either.  I mean just know that because you may seem noticeably different then the people you are often with like at school, your interests fall under odder categories, stuff like that, that's not quite saying you have aspergers.

Aspergers is simply defined as the way bobbym put it, slight autism.  No one can define it completely clearly, but it more depends on whether or not you have most of the same symptoms or not.  Being "different" doesn't quite mean you have it either.  I'm only saying this because I've seen...many people self-diagnose themselves with aspergers mostly coming down to that reason, and they more noticeable do not have aspergers.

To bobbym,
Ah!  Sorry about that.  I'm not surprised I didn't catch that. sad

Last edited by Calligar (2012-11-23 21:09:38)

#118 2012-11-23 21:12:29

bobbym
bumpkin

I think Agnishom needs to read "A Beautiful Mind," by Sylvia Nasar.

#119 2012-11-23 21:17:21

Calligar

Hmm, what is that about?

#120 2012-11-23 21:21:51

Bob
Administrator

Good morning Agnishom and others,

I enjoyed a 'lie-in' today, so I've only just caught up with all you have said.

Asperger syndrome:  This site seems good:

http://www.autism.org.uk/About-autism/A … tAod2kUAbQ

I have taught a number of children who have been diagnosed with asperger.  I'm not an expert but, based on what and how you write on the forum I would say you do not have this.  You talk to girls for a start and manage to have a dialogue with people.  That's strong evidence that you don't have it.

One child I knew could not do this.  I would ask him something and he would respond on a completely different 'tack'.  One day I had a 'two-ball' rally of a conversation with him and that was a break-through!  I asked a question; he answered it; I followed up for more detail; he gave it; and then he was off on a tangent again.

They call it a spectrum disorder, meaning that there is a huge range of symptoms, and every sufferer is different.  Many learn the hard way how to behave like everyone else and put on a good act.  If you think about it; that's what we all do; it just comes easier to some than others.

In your case I think it's just part of growing up.  The reason I suggested maybe the girl thought you were being stupid rather than crazy is this.  Girls start to mature about two years ahead of boys (on average) so when they are becoming 'cool' young ladies, the boys of their age are still acting like kids.  The girls tend to view this as immature behaviour, and, in a sense, they're right.  But, re-visit the situation two years later, and everything has settled down as the boys have caught up.

Advice from me:  (i) don't try to diagnose yourself using the internet.  You'll end up thinking you have a new illness every week.  (ii) Don't worry about whether you are normal; just go on being yourself; maybe with one limitation:  think before you act so you can avoid upsetting anyone.

Best wishes,

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#121 2012-11-23 21:25:46

bobbym
bumpkin

bob bundy wrote:

Many learn the hard way how to behave like everyone else and put on a good act.  If you think about it; that's what we all do; it just comes easier to some than others.

Calligar wrote:

Hmm, what is that about?

That is why I suggest he reads that book.

#122 2012-11-23 21:36:00

Calligar

Hmm, interesting article.  Oh, by the way, good mourning to you I guess.  I don't know what time it is where you are, but it's about 4:35 a.m. where I am.  It seems like they left though, but I'd say that is pretty good advice.  When he said he took a test on the internet that said he wasn't one I had my doubts and more thought similar to you and bobbym.  I don't know about the part about thinking you have a new illness every week or something, I might argue you might be a hypochondriac then (joking).

Last edited by Calligar (2012-11-23 21:39:41)

#123 2012-11-23 21:36:39

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I wil try to find that book and read it

and ya, What did that box mean?

And bob bundy, I do not talk a lot
And definately I do not talk a lot with girls

Alokananda is the only girl I enjoy talking to and she has complained several times for my rudeness

#124 2012-11-23 21:39:13

Calligar

Hmm, seems I was mistaken, do both of you go offline and back online frequently?

#125 2012-11-23 21:39:59

bobbym
bumpkin

You are rude how?

The box? Most people spend their entire life inside that box. Their mind remains in it. It is unable to get out. Anything outside the box is unreal.

I suspect you are an out of the box sort of person. To them you will seem odd, foreign, different. That will help you and hinder.

Board footer