Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2012-11-24 11:25:19

infinitebrain

Probability Question

Six boys and twelve girls are in a senior class.Half the boys and 25% of the girls wear glasses.What is the chosen probability that a student chosen randomly is a boy,wears glasses,or both? I know the answer is 50%, but could someone could explain to me clearly how you get that answer? Thanks!

The best thing about life is you don't know what to expect

#2 2012-11-24 13:19:58

Agnishom
Real Member
Award: Wink Sherlock

Re: Probability Question

Probability that the chosen one is a boy =

Probability that the chosen one wears glasses =

Probability that the chosen one is both a boy and wears glasses = (Probability of being a boy) * (Probability of a boy to wear glasses) =

Last edited by Agnishom (2012-11-24 13:22:47)

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'Who are you to judge everything?' -Alokananda

#3 2012-11-24 13:35:03

infinitebrain

Thank you Agnishom! big_smile
Sorry, I went back to look at the documents and it said A is correct, which is 16 2/3%! smile

The best thing about life is you don't know what to expect

#4 2012-11-24 13:41:15

Agnishom
Real Member
Award: Wink Sherlock

You are Welcome, @infinitebrain

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'Who are you to judge everything?' -Alokananda

Board footer