Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-13 12:42:08

rachael00l

Geometry- surface area and volume of toblerone box

The measurements from my box are W-28cm L-17.4cm H2.4cm. I have to find the surface area of the box, as well as the volume.For the volume, I have the formula 1/2 base*height*width, so would that be 1/2 * 17.4 * 2.8 * 2.4, or do i find the area of the triangle, and then multiply by the height? For the surface area, would i find the area of the rectangle( 17.4 * 2.8) and then multiply by three for the three rectangles, and then find the area of the end triangle, and multiply by 2?dunno Im just a little confused.Thanks!

#2 2012-10-13 15:52:52

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Geometry- surface area and volume of toblerone box

Hi;

Welcome.

Looking at Bob's drawing below I have recomputed the answers. I never had toblerone because I do not eat chocolate.

For the volume you use base * height * width.
You will get 584.64 cm^3

Triangularprismr.gif

Which are you now calling base, height and width?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

#3 2012-10-13 19:43:56

bob bundy

Re: Geometry- surface area and volume of toblerone box

Are you sure you are talking about the same object?

These measurements don't seems right for a Toblerone box.

I've put a picture below with lettered points.  Is this the box you are asking about?

Rachael1001:  Please check your measurements and say which is which by using my letters.

Bob

View Image: toblerone.gif

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

Board footer