Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2012-08-30 21:57:11

Reuel

Terminology

Hi there. I haven't been here in a while.

Is there a proper name for the interior part of a trigonometric function or is it simply called the inner function, or something to that effect? I have looked around online for an answer but I can't seem to find anything.

For example, the function

does g(x) have a proper term or name? Or is it just "the inner function"?

Thank you very much.

#2 2012-08-30 22:04:21

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Terminology

You could say g(x) is the argument of the tangent function, but I don't think there is a proper name for such a function g(x).

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#3 2012-08-30 22:06:09

Reuel

Thank you, anonimnystefy. I am writing a paper and just wanted to use the correct word, if one existed.

#4 2012-08-30 22:23:27

anonimnystefy
Real Member

You can just use the word argument, then.

You're welcome. smile

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#5 2012-08-31 03:13:48

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Since this can be thought of as function composition you will sometimes see it called the inside function or first function.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

Board footer