Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-30 04:58:08

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Aliens?

There is a man here, in Serbia, who claims he has contact with aliens. He managed to get on one TV channel's program. Here are some things he claims:

He is talking to the aliens through a microphone attached to an old controller, like those used for old Playstations and SEGA.
He speaks to them in their language he claims to had learned in only 10 days. One thing is interesting about this claim. The only way he could've learned their language without someone translating the things they told him. But that can only mean that the aliens know Serbian, in which he needn't speak in their language at all.
He was supposedly told by them that there are black and small and green and smaller of them.
He claims their spaceships to be in the shape of a disc, stereotypically, while we all know that those are used only by the U$A g0vernm€nt.
When asked if the "aliens" are hostile, he answered that they aren't and that they probably have their national channel's cameras shooting right now. I laughed at this the most. Not hostile.

This is a very interesting old man who either has quite an imagination or a serious brain damage/disease. His story is quite well put together though. He even drew a cross-section of their ships and wrote some of their words. I would really like to talk to him and laugh straight at his face one day.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#2 2012-07-30 05:14:45

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Aliens?

Hmmm, according to the folklore Reticulans fly that type of craft not humans. The U**S--AF flies triangular shaped craft.

The man is obviously bonkers, Carl Sagan and now Stevie H assure us that such things are not possible.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2012-07-30 06:45:30

anonimnystefy
Real Member

He is bonkers, but not because of his claim that there are aliens, but because he made a species up.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#4 2012-07-30 09:35:55

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, he should be made to explore some of the caves here in the southwest...

#5 2012-07-30 10:04:14

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Just hope he doesn't find any secret/hidden doors.

#6 2012-07-30 10:08:29

bobbym
bumpkin

I hope he does. Then he will learn not to pass out disinformation. Also, they will find him delicious.

#7 2012-07-30 10:15:05

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Not sure about that. He is very skinny and all bones.

#8 2012-07-30 10:16:11

bobbym
bumpkin

Does he still have blood? Can he still produce type two adrenalin?

#9 2012-07-30 10:20:33

anonimnystefy
Real Member

He has a little blood left, but I do not have information on his adrenalin stats.

#10 2012-07-30 10:26:55

bobbym
bumpkin

He has enough for a snack.

#11 2012-07-30 20:55:49

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Good for them then.

#12 2012-07-31 01:50:53

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, they should film it.

#13 2012-10-09 01:54:42

Calligar

That sounds like quite a claim.  Though it is obviously quite improbable.  Although, I put some of the things you mentioned into question:

What exactly is so funny about aliens being non-hostile?  How do you know this man has little blood left?  Why does it take aliens to know his language and teach him their language?  Now as for the last question I asked is more the one I'm interested in.  It brings me to two questions:

Assuming what you say is true, and these aliens knew Serbian, couldn't it still be necessary to learn their language?  For example, what if they had important things to tell him that they wanted to make sure no one else could understand if overheard?

As for my second question, how are you so sure that he can't learn their language without someone to translate or for them to know Serbian?  Isn't it possible that there are other ways of learning, such as by means of simply figuring it out, similar to how we all learn our first language?  Though I know that is arguable, as others would say how our brain changes throughout time and we lose certain abilities that we had as a child that would otherwise enable us to learn these things, but none of this is proven fact either, thereby still plausible.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not that I think this guy is telling the truth and actually believe what he was saying, as I said above, this is very improbable, but all I'm ultimately trying to say is can you really dismiss these things with absolute certainty as well?  There are plenty of people who believe in aliens, either out of interest, plausibility, delusions, being "abducted," talking to them, whatever the case might be.  Quite a number of these people have also, at least claimed they didn't believe in aliens before hand, and now do.  Either way, I don't feel it should be dismissed with such certainty that you assume it's definitely wrong.

I myself do believe in aliens, however I don't believe in the abductions, talking to them or whatever.  I more so just simply think they exist.  The...multiverse is arguably infinite, I find it hard to believe we are the only planet in it that has "life."  Though that can also depend on how you define what life is, which is a completely different argument.

(Sorry for the long post by the way)

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

#14 2012-10-09 10:17:15

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi Calligar

"Why exactly is so funny about aliens being non-hostile?"-When I wrote that  had an opinion that differs minisculy from the one I have now. It is possible that if everything he says is true then the aliens he is talking to aren't hostile.

"Why does it take the aliens to teach him their language?"-There are certainly other ways of teaching. Figuring it out in the sense that you are taking it would be impossible (or at least very, very improbable), because children "figure out"   their mother tongue by examples e.g. they learn that a spoon is a spoon when they are shown a spoon while the word "spoon" is told to them. It can be thought of as a so called firm ofconditional learning. The same kind of technique cannot be applied here, because of the distance.

#15 2012-10-09 15:13:23

Calligar

Figuring it out in the sense that you are taking it would be impossible (or at least very, very improbable), because children "figure out"   their mother tongue by examples e.g. they learn that a spoon is a spoon when they are shown a spoon while the word "spoon" is told to them. It can be thought of as a so called firm ofconditional learning. The same kind of technique cannot be applied here, because of the distance.

Okay, so assuming you are right about that, why can it not be done, what are the specific reasons as to why this same technique can not be applied?  From what you said, he already saw their spaceships, how do you know he was not physically communicating with them as well?  On top of that, there are still other ways (going a little more extreme here), I'm sure you've heard of mental telepathy?  Arguably, that is what he could have been doing the whole time, so why can't they teach him first with such things as pictures and images?

Also, you still proved my point when you said, "Figuring it out in the sense that you are taking it would be impossible (or at least very, very improbable),..." because I never once said I believe this guy, only arguing that it is possible, and very, very improbable is still possible, unless you DO literally mean impossible.

By the way, if you feel I am taking this argument too far, then you can just simply tell me to stop.  I saw this topic and got interested so decided to play devil's advocate, mostly because regardless of how slim of a possibility it is, I see the possibility in all of it, and all-in-all felt like proving it if one didn't agree.  My intention here is not to .... well be an ***hole, so if you feel that's what I'm doing then I apologize and will immediately back off.

But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle

#16 2012-10-09 15:40:00

noelevans

Hi!

How many folks in the world believe in angels, demons, God, etc.  Are they not "aliens" when
compared to the human race?  And is it possible that they live in 4 or more dimensions so that
they can be invisible to us when they want to be?  So there are perhaps billions of people that
"believe in aliens."  Depends on one's definition of "alien."  smile

Writing "pretty" math (two dimensional) is easier to read and grasp than LaTex (one dimensional).
LaTex is like painting on many strips of paper and then stacking them to see what picture they make.

#17 2012-10-09 17:44:15

Calligar

Well it is quite interesting you brought this up.  However, I feel it is mostly unwise to even proceed answering that.  You are beginning to change the subject and turn this more into a philosophical discussion, which was never my intention.  As I said here...

I see the possibility in all of it, and all-in-all felt like proving it if one didn't agree.

I feel like mostly I already made my case and that was my intention.  If I proceed to answer that, I don't feel it would be very appropriate, sorry...

#18 2012-10-09 20:26:29

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Calligar wrote:

By the way, if you feel I am taking this argument too far, then you can just simply tell me to stop.  I saw this topic and got interested so decided to play devil's advocate, mostly because regardless of how slim of a possibility it is, I see the possibility in all of it, and all-in-all felt like proving it if one didn't agree.  My intention here is not to .... well be an ***hole, so if you feel that's what I'm doing then I apologize and will immediately back off.

No, no, I don't mind. This is just a healthy argument. smile

noelevans wrote:

How many folks in the world believe in angels, demons, God, etc.  Are they not "aliens" when
compared to the human race?  And is it possible that they live in 4 or more dimensions so that
they can be invisible to us when they want to be?  So there are perhaps billions of people that
"believe in aliens."  Depends on one's definition of "alien."

Alien would be an intelligent being living on a planet different than our own.

Angels, demons and God are all "creations" of human mind. If you remember, the Bible says that the first humans were Adam and Eve. Also according to the bible, they could speak fluently the language they had, so they would be at least homo habilis, because that is what all scientist would consider the earliest phase of human evolution in which the language was born. Either way, the humans before might not have had the brains to use language. Also considering the complicated structures the two in communication, it would seem they would have to have "more" brains than a homo habilis. So, let's say they were homo erectus. Either way, where are all the phases of human evolution that have appeared before the homo habilis/erectus mentioned in the Bible and for which the modern scientists have found to have existed (e.g. Australopithecus)?

#19 2012-10-10 08:12:20

Calligar

See I was thinking this: if it leads to something more controversial, regardless HOW you say or try to put it, it can be insulting to the other person.  Like your intention was not to insult them in the first place, yet they get insulted by what you say, that is why I was thinking it wasn't a good idea to continue.  But you're saying it is okay anonimnystefy?

#20 2012-10-10 08:35:38

anonimnystefy
Real Member

What do you think might be insulting and to who? And why?

#21 2012-10-10 09:27:03

Calligar

I was worried about answering that, because I believe that could lead into a controversial matter, and I do NOT want to insult anyone even if that is not my intention.  From my personal experience, I try to hold back from getting involved with those matters, unless I know the person, because I do not want to it to be saying stuff that can possible offend the other person, just because its based off of my own beliefs...

#22 2012-10-10 10:18:06

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Calligar wrote:

I was worried about answering that, because I believe that could lead into a controversial matter, and I do NOT want to insult anyone even if that is not my intention.  From my personal experience, I try to hold back from getting involved with those matters, unless I know the person, because I do not want to it to be saying stuff that can possible offend the other person, just because its based off of my own beliefs...

I was just expressing my opinion. There is absolutely no reason someone should be offended.

#23 2012-10-10 17:54:55

Calligar

I was just expressing my opinion. There is absolutely no reason someone should be offended.

You'd be surprised.  The issue is that you never know what the person is thinking, nor what he believes and values.  What you say can be perceived many different ways, and typically when saying something, you only see it how you meant it.  The other person can however misunderstand anything you said (or at least how you meant it), which can thereby lead to that person being offended.

Sorry... especially when I was younger, people misunderstanding what I was saying which often leading to unintentional offense happened quite a lot.  Eventually, I learned to be very careful, arguably too careful, yet even still, I am always worrying that what I say can offend someone and am always trying to be very careful about it.  This kind of thing especially happens all the time when talking about controversial matters, which is why I tend to avoid them, and is the exact reason I thought it was not wise to answer that question in the first place.

Last edited by Calligar (2012-10-10 17:55:37)

#24 2012-10-16 09:43:20

ShivamS

The old person could be a Genius (with a capital) and have a higher intellect then Mozart. Then he could have properly used that gifted knowledge to communicate with ET.

#25 2012-10-16 11:05:41

anonimnystefy
Real Member

There would still be no way of him figuring out their language in a week. And his genious would have been recognized by now...

Board footer