Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-27 19:20:30

model

convert to scientific notation

how  can i convert 1,228,000 in scientific notation ?

Could any one please help me thanks

Maths is Doctor that make our life easy .. smile smile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Maths.GIS/

#2 2012-05-27 20:10:32

Bob
Administrator

Re: convert to scientific notation

hi model,

the notation requires a (i) a number, n, where 1 ≤ n < 10 followed by (ii)  a power of ten.

(i) So make the number 1.228

In this case the decimal point has moved from 1 228 000.0 to 1.2280000 so that's 6 places.  Alternatively, your number is one million which you may know is 10^6

Some calculators have a button that does the 10^ part for you so you just press 1.228 exp 6 and the display shows 1.228   06

On my website there is a lessons link on the left. You will find a word document called standard index form

This is a worksheet I made for my students.  To save paper I made the same pair of strips twice so two students could get their strips from one sheet.

You are welcome to print those off if you want.

Cut out one set of two strips, one for positive powers of ten, the second for negative powers of ten.

The units power is on both strips so you can glue one over the top of the other to make one long strip.

See picture below showing how to overlap the strips.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2012-05-28 00:21:57

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: convert to scientific notation

Does MIF have a page on this? Oh,and that reminds me,I have to him to make a suggestion to him.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

Board footer