Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-22 12:03:07

Smoothie

In What Order Should I Learn Math?

Hi Everybody,

I'm the new kid on the block. I am trying to become more proficient in the subject of math. In what order do you suggest I go about doing this? For example, start with algebra, then on to calculus then on to Statistics, etc...Like, you couldn't just jump into statistics without learning a lower level math course, do you get the picture? I am a returning student to college and right now I have the following math classes coming up:

1. MAT104 - Emphasizes representations and operations of polynomials and rational expressions, functions, and the graphing of linear functions. Methods of solving linear and quadratic equations are discussed. Introduces complex numbers, exponents, and radical expressions.

2.MAT200 - Precalculus - Reviews algebraic techniques. Includes selected advanced topics such as matrices and determinants as techniques for solving linear systems in three or more variables, elementary concepts of analytic geometry, and logarithms. Emphasizes business-related word problems.

3. MAT300 - Statistics -  This course examines the principles of probability and of descriptive and inferential statistics. Topics include probability concepts, measures of central tendency, normal distributions, and sampling techniques. The application of these principles to simple hypothesis testing methods and to confidence intervals is also covered.  The application of these topics in solving problems encountered in personal and professional settings is also discussed.

Since I have been out of school so long, I feel that I should go back to the very basics and get comfortable with them before moving on to advanced subjects, but I am unsure of what order to learn it in order to get the skill set required to successfully pass these subjects. Please help me. Thanks!:)

#2 2012-04-22 13:26:04

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: In What Order Should I Learn Math?

Hi Smoothie;

You will only be as strong as your Algebra. Learn it first! Then comes Calculus. This is the foundation of your math. Statistics they will rush you through and it will be almost entirely kaboobly doo.

When your courses start, do your homework! Any problem you can not do post here, I will help or someone else will.

Meanwhile look at this,

http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/index-college.html

go through it lightly and do not stop until you have a question to ask here. Post them in "Help Me."

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2012-04-22 20:08:15

Bob
Administrator

hi Smoothie,

There are some areas of maths that come after others in a linear sequence way.  bobbym has given a good indication of some of these dependencies.

But, I find that learning maths as a whole is more like  making a jigsaw than building a wall.  Some bits fit together and make more sense when I have fitted both into place.  Some areas remain a mystery but I find I can use what I have already to work into those areas from the edges.

Sometimes, when I've read and re-read a bit of theory and I'm still not getting it, I take it 'on trust' and move on to the next bit.  Later, when I've got a better overall understanding, I go back to find the difficult bits now make more sense to me.

Another 'trick' that works for me is to simplify the problem.   Maybe I cannot follow the algebra, say.  So I try the same thing with numbers and get a feel for what is happening.  Then, the algebraic version doesn't seem so tricky.  And, for me, diagrams help loads.

There's lots of excellent pages on the main Maths Is Fun website.  Click the link above.

And you are welcome to post here for help with a specific question or with a whole topic.

Good luck with you studies.  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2012-04-24 14:16:57

Smoothie

Thanks so much Bobbym and Bob Bundy. I will get cracking on it right away!

#5 2012-04-24 17:06:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Smoothie;

You might want to get some Geometry in there too.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2012-04-24 18:12:38

zetafunc.

Are these OU modules?

Board footer