Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-29 17:44:55

bossk171

Math Dependency Tree

I'm interested in putting together a math dependency tree, and I'm interested in your help. I'm interested in including branches of mathematics as well as non-math like (theoretical) computer science and physics. My chart so far:

dependencies.png

My idea is if someone is interested in quantum computing, or measure theory, or Galois theory, etc., they will be able to look at the chart to see what they need to know first.

Unless anyone has any objections, as this chart expands I will edit the image in this post so that most current chart appears in the first post.

Any and all input is most welcome.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who can use induction.

#2 2012-02-29 20:45:27

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Math Dependency Tree

I am trying to do the same thing, but for K-12 mathematics.

I have a small app I use, but I want to put a database behind the app (it is currently cut/paste): http://www.mathopolis.com/links/ability-tree.php

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2012-03-01 07:05:57

bossk171

MathIsFun: A fantastic idea, though I suspect one that's more difficult and more controversial than mine.

Might I suggest "counting" as the first element?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who can use induction.

#4 2012-03-01 07:48:27

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi guys

the first element of mathematics are,of course,numbers.by that i mean learning how to write them and learn what each of them represents.

next,i want to point out that for some things to be learned we must first learn several other things and not just one.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

Board footer