Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-04 03:27:55

Roraborealis

Werewolf - Excellent new game we could try!

Some people have just taught me how to play a new game, like wink murder, but better, and much more complicated. We could give it a try, if you all wanted to.

Each person playing is a villager in a town. The person in charge (who isn't playing, but will take care of most of the game) selects any two villagers and informs them they are werewolves, any three people and informs them they are protectors, and any one person and informs them they are the seer. Each of these people have powers that effect the game. All the remaining people (the normal villagers) have no power whatsoever.

The Seer:
The seer acts like a physic. Every "night" (the game is divided into a day/night cycle which is controlled by the person in charge) theSeer will inform the person in charge who they want to use their power on. The person in charge tells the Seer the status of that person (werewolf, normal villager or protector). The seer has a deadline to decide upon who.

The protectors:
After the deadline of the seer's descision, the protectors must email each other and decide on one person to protect from the werewolves. They can protect anyone other than themselves and the person in charge, and also have a deadline to decide upon who.

The werewolves:
When the protectors have finished, the werewolves email each other and agree on which villager to eat. They can pick anybody other than themselves and the person in charge. Once they have decided they will tell the person in charge, who will post the result the next "morning." If the person they have chosen to eat was the protectors' choice for protection, the werewolves will have no effect.

The next morning, after the seer has used his/her power, the protectors have protected someone and the werewolves have eaten somebody, the town panics after the mysterious death of this person and everyone votes to who they think
did the crime (is a werewolf). Whoever recieves the highest vote, regardless who it is or what powers they have, is banished from the town and is out of the game. The game ends when either: there are no werewolves left, or: the only people left are werewolves.

The normal villagers don't know who the protectors, werewolves or seer are.
The protectors don't know who the werewolves, villagers or seer are (this way they can protect a werewolf without knowing it and this will have no effect).
The werewolves don't know who the protectors, villagers or seer are.
The seer doesn't know who the protectors, werewolves or villagers are until he/she uses his/her power to determine one person per night.

The person in charge will set the deadlines for everyone, and control the night/day cycle. The person in charge will also keep everyone updated on who has been banished, and who is still in the village.

I may have missed some stuff out, but I think that's the rules unabridged. If you have any questions, ask, please. Don't worry, it took me ages to understand the whole thing myself!
  And, if we are playing, I would be in charge.

Last edited by Roraborealis (2005-12-04 03:35:43)

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#2 2005-12-04 03:34:16

Zach

Re: Werewolf - Excellent new game we could try!

If I had thumbs, I'd give you the thumbs up.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#3 2005-12-04 04:31:59

mathsyperson

I've got a few questions.

• When the people get told who they are, do they also get told who shares the group with them? I'm just wondering how the werewolves would decide amongst themselves who to eat if they didn't know who the other werewolf was.

• Are votes for banishment made in public or private?

• If the werewolves are stopped by the protectors, is there still a vote?

• If the werewolves aren't stopped by the protectors, is everyone told who they were protecting?

• Isn't this going to involve lots of emailing? Would it be possible to set up different topics that only the protectors and werewolves are allowed in instead? That would obviously open up the opportunity for cheating, but hopefully the people here are trustworthy enough to keep out.

• How long does each day and night last? It can't be too short, because of the forum spanning different time zones and stuff.

• If you're offering to be in charge, does that mean that you're back here on a more regular basis? smile

Apart from not understanding the rules completely, it seems like a good game. Wink Murder was getting a bit old anyway.

If I gave you the thumbs up, then I'd have thumbs.

Last edited by mathsyperson (2005-12-04 04:36:22)

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2005-12-04 08:21:12

Roraborealis

1. Yes, they do. The one in charge says something along the lines of: Mathsyperson, you are a werewolf with justlooking! You have until 7 o'clock GMT to decide who you will devour...

2. Votes for banishment are made in public. Even the werewolves must vote to avoid suspicion.

3. If the werewolves are stopped by protectors, yes, there is still a vote. And, I think I missed out, when someone is saved by the protectors, they are not told that it was them who was saved.

4. When the werewolves kill someone, the person in charge puts a note next to their name on the list the next "morning," so everyone knows who has died. The protectors know they have failed, the werewolves know they succeeded. Nobody ever knows who is protecting who apart from the protectors themselves.

5. I've been thinking of that myself. That's probably the biggest problem. Maybe power can be assigned to certain people to view certain threads? I don't know if that's actually possible. I hope it is, then it would be solved.

6. I have that sorted out. The "day" lasts as long as it takes for the update of the players (about two minutes) and for everyone to vote (one or two days). In fact, I think it'd be better if there was a deadline to vote, in case people are busy and don't have the time.
The "night" depends on how fast the protectors, werewolves and seer decide how to use their powers. In this case I'd make a deadline for all and if they don't respond by that time, they don't get to use their power that night.

7. Yes, I've taken a break. smile

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#5 2005-12-04 18:06:34

justlookingforthemoment

Hmm...interesting! I think I'll just have to read over the rules again to fully understand.

I also have a couple of questions:

Can a person be two roles at the same time, eg. a seer and a protector?

What if only six (or less) people are playing? Does everyone get a role or do we cut down the parts?

I think that's all for the moment. It should be great once we get started!

#6 2005-12-04 19:48:56

Roraborealis

1. That is a good idea actually, if we were short of people, which we probably will be.

2. I think it would be good to either cut down the parts, or give people more than one part, like you suggested. It really depends on how many people sign up.

#7 2005-12-04 20:18:02

insomnia
Real Member

That's a good idea. Might take a game or two to get used to the rules. Do you know how hard it is to type with cold hands?

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#8 2005-12-04 20:18:43

justlookingforthemoment

Do you know how hard is it to type with sticky, sweaty hands?

#9 2005-12-05 03:44:39

mathsyperson

Do know how easy it is to type with perfectly normal hands?

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#10 2005-12-05 20:24:24

insomnia
Real Member

But with cold hands they hit the wrong keys

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#11 2005-12-05 20:34:45

justlookingforthemoment

And with sticky, sweaty hands they hit the keys but slide off. Mind you, it's now bucketing down, with a grey sky and it looks like thunderstorms are coming. That's Melbourne weather.

#12 2005-12-15 04:59:20

Roraborealis

Ok Yes Th@s Fine Just Don't My Idea The Lot Of You Are All I Hate You All

#13 2005-12-17 10:10:47

jU
Real Member

hey justlooking did you here the thunder yesterday?? And guess what I was under the tree's holding Metal!!!!!!!!!!   SO SCARY!!!

#14 2005-12-30 11:13:43

justlookingforthemoment

To jU, no I didn't hear the thunder. While I was away... did something happen to Rora?!! hmm Just a strange post, that's all. Also, should we try and start a game?

Board footer