Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-16 18:40:53

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Sun Clock

My latest work ... a Sun Clock.

Now we can all get a better "feel" for the time-rhythms of members in other Countries (and why it is good to wait 24 hours for a response)!

Now, this is not a new idea, but I wanted one in in Flash that I could use on the website. It took me days to get it right, mostly to do with working out the shaded polygons, sometimes I got a shaded Sun ... which didn't seem quite right somehow. It may still go wrong later in the year or next year, so I will have to keep a watch on it.

It doesn't adjust for Summer/Daylight or whatever - I can't figure how to easily get that right, with countries changing their minds all the time.

Let me know how it works on your particular PC, etc.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2005-11-16 20:25:59

justlookingforthemoment

Re: Sun Clock

It's great! Brilliant idea!

Okay. Get ready for a boring, tiresome, question-asking post.

Not sure if you wanted things like this...but down the bottom of the page you wrote '(It makes the land near the poles squashed-and-stretched, But it works well for most places!)' Once again, really picky.

Just some questions. The times down the bottom of the clock...Mine say 23:38, 2:38, 4:38, 7:38, 8:38, 12:38, 15:38, and 16:38. These don't seem to be positioned equally/evenly, like every two hours or something. Not sure if it's meant to be like this (I have no idea what I'm talking about so it's quite possibly meant to be like that) or if the spacing has an error.

Also, wrapping a ball with a piece of paper is a bit like peeling an orange - you can't peel it without wrecking the skin or distorting the original shape of the peel. One last thing. One thing you could do after this is have pages on different projections - there's heaps of maths involved with them.

Last edited by justlookingforthemoment (2005-11-16 20:26:29)

#3 2005-11-16 20:33:07

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Remarkable!
I was astonished by the local time shown which I checked with symtime! Coincided to the minute! Kids would love it! Commendable work, MathIsFun! One thing I wanted to know is where are the links to the new creations placed? (I seldom visit the homepage, I spend whatever time I get in the forum smile )

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2005-11-17 04:08:22

mathsyperson

Link for ganesh

It's very good. The time is accurate to the minute and I can see time zones for different countries. I can also tell that right now, justlooking is sleeping, it's starting to get dark here and north polians currently have constant night. This will keep me amused for hours.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#5 2005-11-19 18:20:22

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thank you very much for your comments. I am much encouraged.

The times are positioned under major population centers, but because they may be wrong during summer time etc I didn't specify.

BTW: I don't link to any time servers - I just use your PCs time sad (so obviously Ganesh has a really accurate PC clock smile )

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2005-12-04 03:51:42

Roraborealis

A very good idea, Rod!
With this, we can all see what time people will definately not be online, and how long to wait for replies!
Great stuff big_smile

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#7 2005-12-04 08:54:55

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Hi Rora! Thanks, I might even put a link to it on top of the forum.

Board footer