Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun. Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °
You are not logged in.
Interesting maximum problem
2) Enter into the input bar f(x) = -2*x^2 - 4*x and press enter.
3) Enter into the input bar g(x) = x+2 and press enter.
4) Create and label 3 points O(0,0), C(-1,2), D(-2,0).
5) Pick a point that is on the left of C and place it on the parabola. Label it B.
6) Now drop a perpendicular line from B to the x axis.
7) Find the intersection point between this perpendicular line from B to the line x+2. Call this point of intersection A. ( use the intersection tool ).
8) Use the distance tool to measure the distance from B to A. It will appear in the algebra pane as distanceBA = something.
9) Set rounding to 10 digits.
10) use the move tool to slide point B along the parabola. See how close you can come to 1.125, I got 1.1249967. That is the maximum length of BA.
11) Go into the algebra pane and find x = -1.24941724. That is the x coordinate you seek.
In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
90% of mathematicians do not understand 90% of currently published mathematics.
I am willing to wager that over 75% of the new words that appeared were nothing more than spelling errors that caught on.