Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-03 15:00:59

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Draught of living death!

1. Is it true that
We get a sleeping potion if we have added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?
2. Is it true that a bezoar is found within a goat's stomach and has healing properties?
3. Is it true that monkshood, wolfsbane and Aconite are the same?

May be those questions were stupid but i want 2 know if they are real! up

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2011-08-03 17:02:42

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Draught of living death!

Hi Agnishom;

2) It is true that they do but I do not know of the healing powers. Humans can get them too and they usually do you no good.

Usually to do research on things like herbalism and health I start with

http://www.earthclinic.com/index.html

You can ask people who know over there. You might get an answer or referred to someplace else. There are other sites too, google for them.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-08-04 02:30:31

Au101

I imagine the first is not true but I don't know. I recognise the source immediately, of course, and JKR uses lots of places, creatures and plants from actual mythology - which may, or may not, have some truth in them. Empirically speaking, most of the myths which she uses are no more than that, but I don't really want to get drawn into a debate over the existence of the Loch Ness Monster or Atlantis or other pieces of mythology. Anyway, one of her great skills was in taking these creatures of myth and legend and putting her own spin on things so, whether any of her potions would actual do anything, if their ingredients even exist in some cases, I find doubtful. As for the second, again, whether they have healing powers I don't know, but I'm inclined to think not. They may do though - I highly doubt that they would be a cure to most common poisons, but much of western medicine is based on extracting compounds from plants and animals, so there could be some medical truth in it. The last one is definitely true, though, the aconitum genus goes by many names, including aconite, monkshood and wolfsbane. I imagine the last name comes from the fact that many species of aconitum contain aconitine - a powerful neurotoxin, which would probably kill many actual wolfs - (hence wolfsbane - the bane of wolves) which would give rise to the legend of it being toxic to werewolves, etc.

#4 2011-09-02 05:43:50

ShivamS

Bezoar is an item found in the gastrointestinal system. In some unusual products it is claimed that they remove toxins from your body (mostly Chinese herbology).
Monkshood, Wolfsbane and Aconite are just misnomers of Aconitum, which is a genus of many flower species.
And finally, no. You cannot create a sleeping potion with those ingredients.

#5 2013-02-19 23:30:15

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Shivam, Try it!

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#6 2013-02-19 23:34:46

bobbym
bumpkin

Some people recommend activated charcoal for the same purpose.

#7 2013-02-21 05:57:04

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Activated?

#8 2013-02-21 10:19:40

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, it is specially prepared charcoal in the form of a powder. When taken internally it can absorb poisons and toxins in great amounts and they stay locked in the charcoal.

#9 2013-02-23 03:24:01

Mathegocart

bobbym wrote:

Yes, it is specially prepared charcoal in the form of a powder. When taken internally it can absorb poisons and toxins in great amounts and they stay locked in the charcoal.

Charcoal???? i think that is weird

!!!!

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

#10 2013-02-23 04:27:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Hospitals use it too for emergencies.

Board footer