Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-28 02:43:59

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Help with LaTeX

hi Au101

like i said in another post,i am opening a new topic here,so that i and everyone who needs it could get help with LaTeX.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#2 2011-07-28 02:58:59

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Help with LaTeX

Hi;

Have you seen there is already a big thread for latex, answers, questions and practicing.

http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=4397

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-07-28 03:02:01

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi bobbym

well i have seen it and that is where i learned to use LaTeX.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#4 2011-07-28 03:03:36

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, so why not keep it in there?

#5 2011-07-28 03:04:58

anonimnystefy
Real Member

give me a reason.i mean why not have it here?

#6 2011-07-28 03:10:38

bobbym
bumpkin

The best reason I can think of is it is redundant. If we already have one what will be diffferent about this one?

#7 2011-07-28 03:18:54

anonimnystefy
Real Member

ok if you think that it shouldn't be here than delete this topic

#8 2011-07-28 03:27:46

bobbym
bumpkin

Lets see if it gets any business.

I know you about codecogs which gives perfect latex everytime. There are also PDF's that have all the latex commands. You can google for them.
You can also just dounleclick anyone's latex to see what he did. This will definitely bring you up to speed for this site or any other for that matter.

#9 2011-07-28 03:31:23

anonimnystefy
Real Member

why double-click when you can click just once?

#10 2011-07-28 03:32:23

anonimnystefy
Real Member

and you see in less than an hour this topic has 9 replies

#11 2011-07-28 03:34:14

bobbym
bumpkin

Good one! It is just you and I!

#12 2011-07-28 03:38:13

anonimnystefy
Real Member

doesn't matter.it will now have 11 repies.it is getting larger by the minute.

off the topic about that question i have what would be your suggestion so that i could narrow it down.this is not the question itself.

#13 2011-07-28 03:41:56

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

My suggestion is abandon it. It is a very unimportant topic. One that can not possibly matter to anyone.

#14 2011-07-28 03:42:55

anonimnystefy
Real Member

so you consider me to be a noone?

#15 2011-07-28 03:48:34

bobbym
bumpkin

No, an anyone is not a no one.

Should not this discussion go in that other thread that is for it. This one is for help with latex.

#16 2011-07-28 03:51:53

anonimnystefy
Real Member

yes and a large number of members is posting here.

#17 2011-07-29 03:01:35

Au101

Hi guys, I'm sorry that this argument has sprung up unnecessarily, and I feel that I am largely responsible for recommending the creation of a new thread. The reason for this being that my understanding of the 'crash course' thread over in the help forum is that it is a guide for using LaTeX on this forum in order to help users of this forum to make the most of it and make the maths on it nice and clear so that people don't become confused with expressions like 'x + 2^3 + x' and to avoid the necessity for lots of brackets and so that people can input summations and integrals and other such things with greater ease. I hope that I am right in thinking that anonimnystefy is quite interested in TeX's much wider use as a typesetting language for entire documents. Indeed it is frequently used in scientific papers and even in published books and one can use TeX for much the same things that many people use Word, or Pages or any other word processor for. I merely thought that he may be interested in seeing how this can be done and also in practising his LaTeX for this forum, which I think he said that he was having trouble with (I'm sorry anonimnystefy I don't want to speak to you I just wanted to make clear why I gave the advice that I did.) In short I didn't want to clog up the 'crash course' with an advanced manual in LaTeX and since this forum doesn't seem to have any 'private message' function, I thought it might be nice if anonimnystefy could start a dedicated thread. I, too, however was worried that this was somewhat beyond the scope of our maths forum, TeX is a mark-up language which happens to have some nice maths support, but it's really not what this forum is about. I didn't mean to cause an argument and I see bobbym's wisdom. If you would think it better, bobbym, then I would be happy to help anonimnystefy by e-mail or something. Understandably, however, I did not suggest this at first because I wouldn't wish to hand out my personal e-mail address on a public forum, so if that is to be the case then I shall create a dedicated address for it.

#18 2011-07-29 03:24:08

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Au101;

You are the first customer!

I didn't mean to cause an argument and I see bobbym's wisdom. If you would think it better, bobbym, then I would be happy to help anonimnystefy by e-mail or something. Understandably, however, I did not suggest this at first because I wouldn't wish to hand out my personal e-mail address on a public forum, so if that is to be the case then I shall create a dedicated address for it.

No argument at all. That is the type of discussion that the forum is for. Before bobbym was a moderator, he was a member. The thing I remember most about him was he loved to argue. Used to argue with Ricky ( a moderator ) about Darwinism, Dawkinism, religion, aliens, Einstein, Ben Stein and the principle of expediency. I do not like forums where you can not speak to the moderators.

I agree handing out your email address in a forum is a really bad idea. If you have more knowledge about latex than please share it right here.

#19 2011-07-29 03:31:39

Au101

smile Well that is a relief to me bobbym, I don't know that I have more knowledge, but I use LaTeX for everything and anything you could possibly want to type-up so I could certainly help with document preparation and also any maths that people are having trouble with, but my main source of concern over in the original post, which was about DEs if I remember correctly, was that anonimnystefy seemed to be having trouble with LaTeX and since he'd expressed interest in LaTeX editors as well I thought I'd offer him a hand with it but I wasn't sure where he was stuck and, well, I didn't wish to divert the DE thread, but if you have any questions or anything you want to know, anonimnystefy, then I'd be happy to help, otherwise I'm heading back to some DEs myself, actually, although these seem to be easier than yours.

#20 2011-07-29 04:00:59

Bob
Administrator

hi everyone,

I've been watching this thread and not saying anything because I wasn't sure where I stood.

I've been recommended to use an editor several times ... but find I'm well served most of the time by just typing in the code.

The problem arises when I don't know what it is.  Then the main latex thread isn't much help because it's so big and searching takes an age.  eg.  I wanted a simple plus or minus sign ... took me ages to track it down ... resorted to trying random guesses at one stage.  What I'd really like is an efficient  way to search for what I want.

Any ideas?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#21 2011-07-29 04:06:20

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Bob;

I use two methods:

http://latex.codecogs.com/editor.php

http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

They are good enough to get you through the day to day of the forum.

#22 2011-07-29 04:12:41

Au101

Hi bob bundy smile

This little site is really handy - http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

You have to be quite good with a mouse though, mind you smile. Otherwise, there is a manual for all of LaTeX, which includes a maths section here - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Mathematics - and the detexify site has a link to a huge pdf full of just about every symbol which LaTeX supports, but that is even more cumbersome. Sites such as codecogs can also help, since their buttons will provide the control characters for you and wikipedia is typeset in LaTeX so you can right click on any maths which includes the symbol which you want and view the source, or simply click on edit and the LaTeX will appear for you to look at. Usually the control sequences are quite high-level (which means that they read like natural language, so sometimes you can have a pretty good guess. I'm sure I don't need to tell you what \overrightarrow{AB} does tongue.) This means that it's quite easy to pick them up if you want to use LaTeX more often, for example, I have always done my maths homeworks in LaTeX which meant that I got used to it very quickly. For typesetting on here, though, those methods will provide quick answers.

As for using an editor, it's much easier when typing maths on maths is fun to just stick the code in directly, rather than copying and pasting across, however, if you do want to use it for documents or for personal use off-site then I would highly recommend a proper text editor, but that really is getting into personal use, you will need the LaTeX libraries and other such things, whereas mathsisfun does all of that natively.

#23 2011-07-29 04:16:37

Au101

Sorry, bobbym, I didn't mean to repeat, it's just I took rather longer over my answer than you did tongue But yes, for the purposes of typing maths on this forum, bobbyms methods are absolutely perfect, if you want to do something like www.tondering.dk/claus/sur15.pdf (this is just a paper which I happened to come across which is typeset in LaTeX which I use as an example) then you will need to look into reading the wikibooks manual and getting yourself set-up with text editors and LaTeX distributions which is, I think, what will hopefully differ this thread from our little 'crash course' over in the help forum, which is more focussed on how to do maths on this forum.

#24 2011-07-29 04:52:08

Bob
Administrator

bobbym and Au101

thanks to you both.

I've put them in my 'favorites' so I can get back to those when I'm stuck.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer