Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-23 10:08:41

silverpuma

Could you double check this question and answer for me please

Just want to double check my answer as it does not match the answer given at the end of the book.

I have :

W
SW
SW
1/4 turn anti-clockwise

They have:

E
SW
NE
1/4 turn anti-clockwise

Thanks for the help...........

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”  ―  Winston Churchill

#2 2011-06-23 10:36:05

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Could you double check this question and answer for me please

Hi;

This is what I get.

1) E
2) SW
3) NE
4) 1/4 turn anti-clockwise

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-06-23 11:52:56

silverpuma

Apart from me being dumb, this sort of amazes or better still, it mystifies me  !!! 

I went back and answered  the questions again after a break of about 30 mins and and got them all correct.  You and the book are 100% right of course Bobbym.  I'm wrong 100%.  I don't know for why but when I did the questions earlier, it seems as if every time I read or worked out what I needed to do, to go either anti-clockwise or clockwise, I ended up doing the opposite and I must have did this 3/4 times?   After the 30 mins break I still can't workout how I made the mistake over and over.

I'm a mess as one of my Tennessee friends would playfully say.  Thanks again

Last edited by silverpuma (2011-06-23 11:53:27)

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”  ―  Winston Churchill

#4 2011-06-23 12:32:59

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi silverpuma;

Apart from me being dumb, this sort of amazes or better still, it mystifies me  !!!

BM wrote:

Mistakes are part of the game.

Typically I work on about 10 of my own problems a day. I solve two. Out of that two, one is usually wrong.

Take a look at my signature. Take a look at the second one, it is from a countryman of yours. It is the whole secret.

Overconfidence is a serious weakness but lack of confidence is death.

I never knew a mathematician, engineer, physicist, bowler, pool player, chess player or pro poker player who did not think he/she was better than he/she was. That is the secret.

Let me give you some of that. You attempting to learn math by yourself, to teach yourself, is a gargantuan task. Lots of math types, have degrees from Princeton U,Oxford U, Harvard U, MIT U and Whats a matter U. Of course they know everything. I respect your courage to try on your own.

#5 2011-06-23 12:55:27

silverpuma

Thanks Bobbym for the very thoughtful words and advice.  My enthusiasm is still brimming over and I enjoy (in a sense) the mistakes as they add another piece to my jigsaw of understanding.  But after many years of life I have came to the point of not taking myself too seriously and have the freedom (and how good that feels) of not worrying about saying "I'm wrong" or second guessing what other people think of me as they survey my many inadequacies.   But that said, its still a pleasure to interact on a forum with people who are helpul and courtous, hence why I feel at ease asking basic and sometimes silly questions:-)

A good friend told me years ago and I like it,  take whats un-important and smile, take whats important seriously and still smile.....but......never take yourself seriously

#6 2011-06-23 13:06:31

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, if you can steer in the middle of the road ( not lacking confidence and not over confident ) you will have the best of it.

That is interesting. His comment is like the "Serenity prayer"

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.

Asking a question is a humbling experience. You have to let others know what you do not know. My Mom used to say:

To ask a question is to be thought of as a fool for a second. To not ask, is to be fool for a lifetime.

As you can see I have a quoting illness.

#7 2011-06-23 13:46:03

silverpuma

As you can see I have a quoting illness.

LOL

I don't mean to bore you with non maths thoughts.........but.............

My wife and I attended a small Bible college over a decade ago and though small, the college had a group of very sharp lectures full of knowledge and they were nice guys as well.  But on one occasion a local pastor came in to do 2 lectures in apologetics.  He was asked by a student, what I thought in my naive pride and arrogance was a fairly easy question, but he said he was not sure of the right answer and he would need to check and come back the next week. I felt a bit embarrassed for him.  Next week came and if I had been him I would have probably tried not to bring it up.  Or when asked the previous week I'd have manged some sort of answer, since I was suppose to know everything about this subject.  But thankfully he was a better man than I was and with his first words he thanked the student for asking the question and reminding him of how much he still needed to learn.  There was an unusual lack of needing to be right and a peaceful presence with him.  Because of his willingness to show his vulnerability and in this case lack of knowledge he became a giant in my eyes.  In his seemingly weakness I saw an attractive strength.

Out of all the lectures he was the one I wanted to be like, he was the one who impressed me, he was the one who showed me a glimpse of true greatness...............................sorry Bobbym I've went on tooooooooooo long....

#8 2011-06-23 17:25:00

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Unknown wrote:

Forever a student.

Thanks for that anecdote. I think I understand you now.

Board footer