Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-13 12:30:57

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Businesses are going to need tens of thousands of Math majors

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2011-05-13 13:01:22

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Businesses are going to need tens of thousands of Math majors

Hi MIF;

I will post this to all the posters who over the last 4 weeks have proclaimed their hatred of math. All of them sure that they will never need it in their future jobs.

There was one in particular who seemed to have a natural gift. With a little prodding he answered his own questions. Picked it up right away. I asked him if he would like to pursue a career in math. He said after these finals he never was going to do math ever again. He hated it that much, I said that too...

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-05-14 00:31:35

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yet he may find, some time later when the pressure is off, that he can come back to math and really enjoy it.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2011-05-14 18:45:25

calculatewhat

I think when members of the younger generation declare a hatred for math, they truly don't understand how whether they like it or not, they will be using math in every aspect of their life. I can't think of any professions that don't rely on math to some degree on a day to day basis. Just because you aren't going to become a statistician doesn't mean you escape the fundamentals! There were times in my childhood when I probably cursed math to some degree but just out of ignorance and immaturity. They'll eventually discover it goes far beyond the work place, too. I find myself using math non-stop even for personal hobbies I never imagined would require understanding deeper mathematical concepts (like fly fishing and custom rod building).

They'll understand one day! Neat article either way. smile

I run (slave over) the website CalculateWhat.com: Online Calculators
TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator Giveaway: Summer Calculator Contest

Board footer