Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-20 00:59:55

phrontister
Real Member

BOOHOO - alphametic

Here is an alphametic of a game of chess.

It begins with the normal starting position and has a sacrificial mate ending.

P-K4    P-K4    
 N-KB3   N-QB3
  B-B4    N-B3
  P-Q4     PxP
   O-O    P-Q3
   NxP    B-K2
 N-QB3     O-O  
 P-KR3    R-K1
  R-K1    N-Q2
   BxP     KxB   
  N-K6     KxN
  Q-Q5    K-B3  
 Q-KB5  BOOHOO

- The notation is 'descriptive' (as opposed to 'algebraic').

- The letters and symbols "-" and "x" each stand for a different digit from 0 to 9.

- The last digit of some moves is already solved as shown, and any such digits are still available as solutions for the letters and symbols.

- No move begins with a zero.

- Black's agonising losing cry of "BOOHOO" is the sum of all 25 moves.

- The puzzle has a unique solution.

What are the letter and symbol values?

Last edited by phrontister (2011-03-20 01:24:48)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#2 2011-03-20 02:00:40

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: BOOHOO - alphametic

Hi phrontister;

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-03-20 03:11:15

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

Correct! up

Did you look at the game? I quickly played it but didn't try to analyse it at all. The strategy is probably full of holes to make it fit the puzzle.

Last edited by phrontister (2011-03-20 22:12:42)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#4 2011-03-20 03:35:33

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

The move 9 ...N-Q2 ( Nd7 algebraic)???

It is catastrophic blunder.

#5 2011-03-21 03:15:19

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

Yes, that was a suicidal move.

Both Houdini & Rybka say: 9 ...NxN, and that the game is pretty even at that point.

I let them play on a bit from there at 15 seconds per move, but the game remained even all the way and so I tipped the board upside-down, folded it up and put it under my arm, scooped up the pieces and my time clock and went to bed. sleep

Last edited by phrontister (2011-03-21 03:17:28)

#6 2011-03-21 08:56:42

bobbym
bumpkin

Well, I would not get too carried away with what Houdini has to say. With all due respect to whatever that guys names are, I just got another draw against it.

#7 2011-03-21 09:49:24

phrontister
Real Member

Nice going, Bobby! I wouldn't have a show!!

Maybe Houdini should consider itself fortunate to have escaped with a draw against you. An aptly-named chess program.

#8 2011-03-21 10:02:27

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

Actually, they kill me. Their scores are huge in their favor. I am a patzer. A Grandpatzer actually. But I have on occasion played way over my head. Programs do not understand human psychology. A human grandmaster would notice my strengths and steer away from them. I have many weaknesses to exploit and a human grandmaster would do that. One time I was matched up against a senior master, about 2350 rated. He beat all me day and all night and he was 200 points weaker than a grandmaster. Houdini and chess programs in general sometimes walk right into the only thing I can do. That makes me look good when in fact I am awful.

#9 2011-03-21 10:18:09

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

I think it would be very difficult to extract a win against machines that can plug holes as well as these can. And if your rating is "Awful", what does that make mine? "Abysmally awful", I suppose.

The strategy is probably full of holes to make it fit the puzzle.

Until Black's blunder on move #9, H & R rated the game as even, and Arena had the opening down as a Capablanca variation (I think...I didn't save the game and can't recall it all). Maybe this puzzle was from an actual game...or one the author doctored at move 9.

bobbym wrote:

Houdini and chess programs in general sometimes walk right into the only thing I can do.

What is that?

Off to work now...

#10 2011-03-21 15:05:32

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

And if your rating is "Awful", what does that make mine? "Abysmally awful", I suppose.

There are no grades of awful there is just good and awful. If you really are worse than I am you might beat me. I had the most trouble with players that were lower rated than I was. They often beat me preventing me from moving up. You see how messed up my thinking was, believing that people who were zonking me were worse then I was.

I think it would be very difficult to extract a win against machines that can plug holes as well as these can.

Yes, very difficult. Houdini is the first win I have gotten against them in more than 5 years of playing them, sometimes daily.

What is that?

Where as a strong grandmaster would perhaps have a rating of 2650 and be

2670 in endgame technique
2600 in openings preparation
2700 in middle game play
2630 in positional play.
2650 in tactical awareness
2660 in defending

Quite consistent. While an amateur with a rating of 1700 might look something like this.

1900 in endgame technique
1200 in openings preparation
1300 in middle game play
2300 in positional play.
1300 in tactical awareness
2300 in defending

Notice the wild swings. That is close to me. Now even though the grandmaster is a full 330 points stronger than I am in positional play and figures to beat me convincingly there, he would opt for tactical play because the gulf is much bigger, over 1300 points. I would never win a game from a human grandmaster and never have.

Computers on the hand do not realize that you should attack an opponents weaknesses and not his strengths. They do not play the man. They often engage me in positional struggles where they play roughly at 2000, which is less than me. I have a reasonable chance and will score a victory now and then when I do not make a tactical error. The human grandmaster would force me to make that error, not just sit back and wait for it.

Board footer