Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-26 03:13:21

EasierToLearnFromMe
Banned

Card Guessing System Red or Black.

I have Devised a System for Guessing Cards Red or Black form a normal 52 Pack of Cards.

The Rules of the Game are... Use a normal 52 Pack of Cards,Shuffle them and split them a few times face down so all the Cards are Random.

Then keeping the cards face down as a Pack try to Guess whether the Top Card will be Red or Black,place all Correct Cards in one pile and all Incorrect Cards in another pile,the Idea being to Guess as many Cards Correct as possible.

If a Simple System is used like Guessing every Card will be Red or every Card will be Black it is a Guarantee to get at least 26 Correct from 52 which equals 50 %

The System I have Devised has Scored a Maximum of 40 from 52 which equals 76.92 % and never less than 30 which equals 57.69 %  over a long trial Series! Which is an average of 67.30 %

Because the Game is Random this should not be Possible!? 

Does anyone have an idea how this was done? Or do they think it is long term Luck!

#2 2011-02-26 03:19:24

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Card Guessing System Red or Black.

Because the Game is Random this should not be Possible!?

That is incorrect. The game is not random, not if you are seeing the results. Are you seeing the results as you guess? You can keep making better and better guesses based on past information.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-02-26 03:30:52

EasierToLearnFromMe
Banned

Good Reply bobbym

But of Course you are Seeing the Results! as this is something Normal Done/Played alone... Even though I have another version of the Game where Two People can play and use the same Rules! In a slightly different way.

So if your First Card is Red and your Second Card is Black...What is your Guess for the Third Card?

#4 2011-02-26 03:43:44

bobbym
bumpkin

I got 33 right which is probably the average amount you should get.

In answer to your question if the first one was red and the next one was black then flip a coin if it is heads pick red and if it is tails pick black. There is no advantage in that particular spot.

#5 2011-02-26 04:24:57

EasierToLearnFromMe
Banned

Bobbym's Quotes “ I got 33 right which is probably the average amount you should get. “

EasierToLearnFromMe

The True Should be Average is 26 ...50 %

Bobbym's Quotes “ In answer to your question if the first one was red and the next one was black then flip a coin if it is heads pick red and if it is tails pick black. There is no advantage in that particular spot. “

EasierToLearnFromMe

This is where we are Years! If not Miles apart in the way we Think!! Maybe it's a Class thing? Or just that as a baby you had more Milk than me! Which on the first look most people would think that a Baby that has more Milk Ect. Would be more Intelligent? But the Truth is that when a Person learns to fight they Develop Extraordinary Abilities based on Survival!

You Are Wrong on This One!!

#6 2011-02-26 04:28:26

bobbym
bumpkin

This is where we are Years! If not Miles apart in the way we Think!! Maybe it's a Class thing? Or just that as a baby you had more Milk than me!

What kind of a comment is that?

I am sorry, notwithstanding your milk argument. You are incorrect. After 1 red card and then 1 Black it is 50 50 on the next card. And I am sorry but if you think that the average number of correct guesses in that game is 26 then you are very wrong.

Instead of making derisive comments at me why not try explaining your ideas, then everyone can take a look at what you think is the right answer.

#7 2011-02-26 04:57:59

EasierToLearnFromMe
Banned

The Average Number of Guesses in The Game Has to be 26 Which is  50 % of All Possibilities from a Math point of View!

I asked you to give me the Next Guess if the first Card is Red and the Second Card is Black your reply was a 50 % Random Choice!? 50 % Random Choice from your next reply is the Average! which from the start would be  26 from 52.

#8 2011-02-26 05:01:41

bobbym
bumpkin

That is the average number when you are guessing, but you are not guessing, you know the composition of the remaining cards. Since you never read what I tell you, I said the average value of that game is about 33. That game is not random and that is easy to prove.

And yes after one red and one black it is even money. That is why I said flip a coin, also even money.

Try listening to me for a change before going off the deep end.

#9 2011-02-26 05:09:25

EasierToLearnFromMe
Banned

The Start of the Game is 50 % Red and 50 % Black if you take one Red Card and then One Black Card it is still 50 % for Both!

Can you show how it changes from 50/50 in the above case to 33 from 52 which is 63.46 %

#10 2011-02-26 05:12:58

bobbym
bumpkin

Lets say after 44 cards are drawn I have 22 right just by guessing.So I will average 22 out of 44 just with guessing. Every once in a while the last 8 cards will be all red or all black. Now I am not guessing. I pick 8 reds or 8 blacks. I end up with 30. Do you see it now?

#11 2011-02-26 05:17:27

EasierToLearnFromMe
Banned

Forget about Rubbish!! talk about Math Fact! after all you are a Moderator? Not once in a While 44 then 22 is  50 % not 63.46 %

#12 2011-02-26 05:20:45

bobbym
bumpkin

I will try one more time. I have been giving you math fact. Lets say I pick black every time. I can not do worse than 26. But everytime the last card is red. I will have guessed my 26 with some cards left. They will all be red. Now I can never do worse than 26 but when the last few are red I will do better than 26. My average is higher than 26.

#13 2011-02-26 05:23:12

EasierToLearnFromMe
Banned

You are lost for Words! bobbym.

#14 2011-02-26 05:26:51

bobbym
bumpkin

Do you know how to converse without sarcasm or invective? I am a person like you. Do you know how to behave? You have been warned about your behaviour. Please stick to math, comments like that are easily misunderstood.

#15 2011-02-26 05:30:46

EasierToLearnFromMe
Banned

Then Answer!

Forget about Rubbish!! talk about Math Fact! after all you are a Moderator? Not once in a While 44 then 22 is  50 % not 63.46 %

Don't get Angry it don't Suite you!

#16 2011-02-26 05:56:21

bobbym
bumpkin

I have, twice with what I think are really nice pieces of analysis. I am sorry that you will not meet me at least half way. I have tried everything I can. You cannot and should not call someone elses work rubbish.

Why mention that I am a moderator, so what. I am someone answering a question. Or trying to answer one.

EasierToLearnFromMe wrote:

Then Answer!

Have you ever used the word please?

#17 2011-02-26 19:12:50

bobbym
bumpkin

If you adopt the simplest strategy of always guessing black then by post #10  and post #12 you will average more than 26 right. The exact calculation is:

Although even the simplest strategy will average 27 right, there is a better strategy.

Board footer