Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-15 12:20:36

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Long Division(By hand)

Hi all, I have a question to do with long division. My question is what do I do with the remainder?
For example:

Vehicle A and vehicle B are 2548 miles apart and move towards each other.
The speed of vehicle A is 264 mph and the speed of vehicle B is 324 mph.
Where (distance from the startpoint of vehicle A) will both vehicles meet?

V(a)=264
V(b)=324
D=2548

V(t)=264+324=588

T= D/S

2548/588dunno

Now thats where I stuff up somewhere. I use long division and I get quotient of 4 with a remainder of 196; I know the answer is going to end up as 4...something and then I need to multiply that by 264 but I don't know how to figure what comes after the 4. Please help! I know it's very basic math but I am always getting stuck at this part.

Last edited by Mariner (2011-02-15 12:22:46)

Offline

#2 2011-02-15 12:32:37

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Since rate times time is distance, it is a linear equation, a line, distance on vertical y-axis,
rate or time, you pick it is on the x-axis, horizontal to the right.
This straight line means you can do reciprocals!!  I don't know why I
know this, but the answer must be:
Distance of A =[ 324 / ( 324 + 264) ] times 2548.
Don't ask me how I know this, I just do...  I'm old, 45 + or - 5 years.
bye. lol.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#3 2011-02-15 12:44:11

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

Since rate times time is distance, it is a linear equation, a line, distance on vertical y-axis,
rate or time, you pick it is on the x-axis, horizontal to the right.
This straight line means you can do reciprocals!!  I don't know why I
know this, but the answer must be:
Distance of A =[ 324 / ( 324 + 264) ] times 2548.
Don't ask me how I know this, I just do...  I'm old, 45 + or - 5 years.
bye. lol.

Hi Thanks for the input but it's still a little off. You working got 1404 or 145.46 I cant remember while the answer is 1144, so it's almost in the ball park.

Last edited by Mariner (2011-02-15 12:48:11)

Offline

#4 2011-02-15 13:27:59

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Vehicle A is the slower one, so you have given the distance from B I think.
Add them up, and you get the total distance...


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#5 2011-02-15 13:29:59

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

Vehicle A is the slower one, so you have given the distance from B I think.
Add them up, and you get the total distance...

You assume Vehicle A is traveling towards B. I know how to do the question just not the long division part.

Offline

#6 2011-02-15 13:35:37

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Oh, long division, sorry, the 196 goes over the 588.
So you get 4 and 196/588.  Does that help?


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#7 2011-02-15 13:39:28

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

Oh, long division, sorry, the 196 goes over the 588.
So you get 4 and 196/588.  Does that help?

yeah this is where I get stuck because to remainder is larger than the divisor so what am I meant to do to get 0.3

Offline

#8 2011-02-15 13:42:53

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Oh, I see it now!!
196 times 3 is 588, so 1/3 = 0.3333333333333333 forever.
So the answer of the division is 4.3333333333 repeating.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#9 2011-02-15 13:46:46

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

Oh, I see it now!!
196 times 3 is 588, so 1/3 = 0.3333333333333333 forever.
So the answer of the division is 4.3333333333 repeating.

yes its recurring. So once I do all the long division and I get like a 4. something and I have a reminder, I divide the remainder by the divisor and get my decimal point. very niceup

Offline

#10 2011-02-15 13:47:22

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

If you want you can bring down the invisible zero and keep dividing.
So you get 1960 divided by 588, and then pick 3, and go
around and around getting the same answer again and again,
bringing down a zero.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#11 2011-02-15 13:52:54

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

If you want you can bring down the invisible zero and keep dividing.
So you get 1960 divided by 588, and then pick 3, and go
around and around getting the same answer again and again,
bringing down a zero.

sure can!, but I'm trying to do the question in under or as close to 30 seconds as I can by hand.

Offline

#12 2011-02-15 13:55:32

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Okay, sounds good.  Speed is good sometimes.
So now are you going to find out how much time it took for them to meet?
And then take that time and multiply it by the slower A rate for the distance,
supposing they are approaching each other in opposite directions...??


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#13 2011-02-15 13:57:54

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

oh my gosh, I just realized I originally did the distance from point B.
Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking correctly...
Yes the distance to point A would be shorter because it is slower car.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#14 2011-02-15 14:00:45

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

Okay, sounds good.  Speed is good sometimes.
So now are you going to find out how much time it took for them to meet?
And then take that time and multiply it by the slower A rate for the distance,
supposing they are approaching each other in opposite directions...??

pretty much. So it's 4.3 x 264 =1135.2 so 1135. We just assume aircraft or A is traveling towards B. We don't worry about which is faster or slower unless it says Where (distance from the startpoint of vehicle B) will both vehicles meet?

Offline

#15 2011-02-15 14:05:06

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Right, so 1144 miles from point A, the shorter distance.
And 1404 miles from point B, seems to me.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#16 2011-02-15 14:19:19

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

Right, so 1144 miles from point A, the shorter distance.
And 1404 miles from point B, seems to me.

well you only do it for the point or aircraft it asks for, and as it's recurring it's just 4.3 x A's speed = 1135

Last edited by Mariner (2011-02-15 14:19:42)

Offline

#17 2011-02-15 14:23:54

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

If you shorten the number 4.3 instead of 4.33333, then it is just a little less accurate.
No big deal.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#18 2011-02-15 14:25:44

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

If you shorten the number 4.3 instead of 4.33333, then it is just a little less accurate.
No big deal.

well if you can do 4.3333333 x 264 and all the other stuff in under 30 seconds be my guest lol

Offline

#19 2011-02-15 14:28:27

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Well, we could use my first formula fixed of errors:
Wrong way:   A =[ 324 / ( 324 + 264) ] times 2548.
Right way:  A = [264 / (324 + 264) ] times 2548.
Comes out 1144.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#20 2011-02-15 14:29:32

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

I guess calculators aren't allowed here, huh?


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#21 2011-02-15 14:29:53

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

Well, we could use my first formula fixed of errors:
Wrong way:   A =[ 324 / ( 324 + 264) ] times 2548.
Right way:  A = [264 / (324 + 264) ] times 2548.
Comes out 1144.

are you doing this my hand or by calculator

Offline

#22 2011-02-15 14:31:08

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Well this very last one I cheated and used a calculator!!
But before I was doing it in my head.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#23 2011-02-15 14:32:38

Mariner
Member
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 35

Re: Long Division(By hand)

John E. Franklin wrote:

Well this very last one I cheated and used a calculator!!
But before I was doing it in my head.

well I'm practicing for an aptitude test where I have to do about 75 questions in 24 minutes. I am given a ball part with these kinds of questions to work with so I think the method I used is quite accurate.

Offline

#24 2011-02-15 14:33:33

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,588

Re: Long Division(By hand)

Yes, I agree.  The division by 588 worked really well, and then
multiplying by 264 was fast.  Nice work!!!!


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB