Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-23 11:40:03

SuperLynx

3D Geo - Breaking apart what is going on [Road to Mastering Series]

The yellow lines represent vectors the green lines represent scalars and point normal and point position returns the position of each point on a 3D geometric object.  I'm hoping someone can help me break down what is happening here and I understand how the multiple and add nodes work but what I don't understand is what the math is doing.

program3dmath.jpg

#2 2011-01-23 23:45:18

Bob
Administrator

Re: 3D Geo - Breaking apart what is going on [Road to Mastering Series]

hi Superlynx,

Oh boy!  I guess I asked for it so thanks for the flow chart.

Where did you get it from?  I cannot connect it to what has gone before; nor see where it is leading.

If I call P the position vector and N the normal vector (normal to what?)

and use f(x) for the function (what function?) R for the rescale factor ( why does it need two inputs?) and W for the 'weighting factor' (what again?) then I can reduce the flow chart to this formula:

new vector = W.R.f(x).N + P

but I have absolutely no idea what it's for or why you would want to struggle with it.

And why is 8.78 called a 'result' when it's at the start and what does it do anyway?  Is it the scaling factor?

Given the problems you had with determinants, I think the best idea might be to put this 'on the back burner'; ie. leave it until later.

Bob  dunno

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2011-01-24 00:33:25

SuperLynx

Re: 3D Geo - Breaking apart what is going on [Road to Mastering Series]

I'll post a deeper explanation, maybe someone else can take a stab at it I know somewhat what is going on.

Board footer