Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-05 03:30:58

HodgeHeg

ConquerMaths, amazing online tutor

I've tried loads of maths programs and found them all boring, but I've just come across  http://www.conquermaths.com and I've never seen anything quite like it! There are something like about 500 audio, animated interactive lessons and tests for 11 to 16 year olds. They've got a couple of good special offers at the moment and you can get a 2 week free trial which is well worth a go!

#2 2005-10-05 11:09:27

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: ConquerMaths, amazing online tutor

Sounds like an ad, hodgeheg!

Has anyone actually tried it?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2005-11-16 02:55:41

ConquerMaths

I've just stumbled across this after searching for our site on Google.

I'd like to confirm that we have never posted any advertisments on any forums apart from paid submissions. Reading the posting above, I can understand your concerns!

We spend a lot of time and money advertising and marketting our product and we get some amazing comments from our users. We're keen to spread the word, but we're big on etiquette smile

Many thanks
Richard Hunter
ConquerMaths

#4 2005-11-16 07:37:45

mathsyperson

I tried it. It's got good explanations, goes through every possible step you would ever need and has good exercises that you can use to test yourself. And there's an Australian guy commentating on everything, which is always a bonus. The only problem is that without subscription, you can only do about 5% of the exercises. I don't like subscribing.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#5 2005-11-16 08:45:40

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Hi ConquerMaths and welcome to the forum!

That was a great write-up, mathsy.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2005-11-16 23:42:43

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

ConquerMaths wrote:

I've just stumbled across this after searching for our site on Google.

Probably the keyword for search was 'Maths'! See the results.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#7 2005-11-18 02:30:15

ConquerMaths

Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for the writeup Mathsyperson, your comments are greatly appreciated. I can understand your concerns about subscription based services... it's a shame we can't afford to give it away free!

I'm very impressed with what I've seen of these forums and I look forward to being a regular poster here in the future.

#8 2005-11-18 04:05:37

mathsyperson

Maybe you could sell advertising space on your site instead of getting your money from subscription. If you do that, you could let people subscribe to get rid of the adverts.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#9 2005-11-18 07:22:34

ConquerMaths

Since we supply our software to schools and also on CD-ROM and have a number of staff to support along with high bandwidth costs we couldn't generate enough revenue to carry on. We're putting a lot of effort into developing new software as well as advanced level courses... sadly to be able to do this we're forced to charge for our service. Because of that we choose not to take any commerial advertising on our site to maintain the experience for our paying subscribers. Eventually, as our subscriber base increases and as funds allow we will be offering more features for both paying and non-paying visitors.

#10 2005-11-18 09:34:41

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Sounds good CM ... hope to see you here often ... just jump in and solve puzzles, answer "Help Me" questions, join in the madness, etc.

In fact, you could write an "Introduction" if you want, so we get to know you better (in the Introductions section, as per custom smile)

#11 2006-07-04 20:03:11

tullyleo

As an anxious parent I've been searching for Maths support for my 13 year old and I have to say your "Maths is Fun" site is excellent and really does hook you into maths through the fun element. I found ConquerMaths before discovering your site so am not influenced by HodgeHeg Novice posting.  ConquerMaths is probably not as much fun but does address multiple learning styles through vision and importantly AUDIO,  helping students to grasp concepts.  It also identifies gaps in the students maths knowledge.  With regard to the subscription, - this is much cheaper and more flexible than a similar audio/ visual programme currently being promoted by many schools across England.  Only recently started using haven't found any negatives yet but will let you know if I do and will continue to use MathsIsFun! - thanks

#12 2006-07-05 16:05:10

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks for the comments tullyleo, very useful.

#13 2007-06-09 08:08:46

ForestMaths

They are good for GCSE but they don't offer past papers and they don't offer A Level. My son has joined Livemaths.co.uk for his A Level exams and loves them. They are similar to Conquer but a lot more friendly and when he wanted further explanation he just emailed them and they chatted using MSN. They are starting GCSE and KS3 from September and I will be signing my daughter up for it then. They are a lot cheaper than Conquer but they offer a lot more. Check them out.

#14 2010-11-08 17:48:33

annie89

I have spent a  lot of time in solving math problems...after providing so much time to math i am unable to solve math equations...please can anyone suggest me math tutor.

#15 2010-11-08 18:14:53

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi annie89;

Why do you not post your problems here. I am sure we can deal with all of them. This service here is free. You can ask all the questions you want. I would be glad to help you solve any equation that you can come up with.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer