Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-30 19:56:27

DaveRobinsonUK

Where am I?

What's up dude's smile

I was reading last weeks New Scientist the other day and came across this article, would like
to see what the gang thought of it.

Here is the link
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727703.000-every-black-hole-may-hold-a-hidden-universe.html

I suppose it is an explanation for everything coming from a single point at the big bang. Does it mean that
each universe is made from one star? Or is everything else made from other stuff consumed during the course
of time after the hole is created?

mmmm hmm

Can feel it coming together.. Slowly but Surely smile

#2 2010-07-30 20:41:57

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Where am I?

Hi Dave;

Not sure what it means. Wasn't not too far back when Stevie and Kip proved that you couldn't use a black hole to travel from one universe to another or from any place to any other place?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2010-08-01 00:42:41

DaveRobinsonUK

Wow, would love to be able to understand that. Maybe one day smile

I don't get it either, it's like every universe would be smaller in terms of matter than the preceding one, and also proportional to the mass of the star that created it.

Can feel it coming together.. Slowly but Surely smile

#4 2010-08-01 06:14:33

bobbym
bumpkin

Don't worry that's what they said on a weird documentary I watched.

Carl Sagan wrote:

There is a strange theory that doesn't violate any of the laws in physics: It says that each electron is a universe in itself and inside that electron each electron is another universe, forever.

Just seems to show me that when we have so many possible alternatives and we can't eliminate any of them, that we don't really know a whole lot about the universe.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2010-08-19 08:29:07

jk22

Hi dave and bobby,

about this topic I thought that about the case of a blind person, If I close the eyes for example,  I could not see 3d dimension, but feel them locally, the touching sense, and hence could never be sure/globally that suddenly a "passage" would not exist in an other dimension, by following a certain trace ?

Or what about if we moved in a 3d "tunnel", how to know if this tunnel itself were more than in 3 dimensions ?

thanx.

Last edited by jk22 (2010-08-20 05:12:19)

Board footer