Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-15 09:53:14

Zach

Theories of Insanity; Theory 01; Octoweek

During the course of my days at Seconday School, I devised what I've dubbed 'Octoweek'. As you can most probably guess, it's an eight day week.
Now, some people might shout; "There's supposed to be 168 hours in week!" or "You can't just add another day. That's stupid." So, while I walked home from school, I decided to do the maths and figure out how to add another day while keeping synchronizing it with the rest of the week. As we all know, every day has to be the exact same amount of hours, which is est. 24 hours per day (It's not, but it's estimate).
So, here goes;

Hours: 168
Days: 7
Divided: 24.

So, there's a basic principle of the week that you know, the 'Standard Week', as it will be known.

In the theory of Octoweek, there must be the exact same amount of hours, but in 8 days, so the logical answer is to take the same number of hours from the days of a Standard Week and then pour them into the 8th day; Octoday.
So, the rules were simple; remove x hours from 7 days to make a day with y hours, where x=y. The number closest divisible by 7 will be the answer, which is 21. So, what I did, was subtract 3 hours from everyday of a Standard Week to make a 21 hour day (Nevermind this rotation nonsense) and put them all into a final 21 hour Octoday. So, thus, was created Octoweek. Octoday, of course, would come after Sunday and be a weekend.

The principle works fine, but it's not support by common physics, but that's not going to put a cramp on my plans. Sure, you'd have 52 extra days, but you could create a whole new month, Octomonth (Hell, October isn't 8th, why should Octomonth?) and then pour 3 days into Febuary to make it 31 days. So, you have a 31 day month + 3 days of Febuary, which is 34 days used. You still need to toss around 18 more days. But extra days in the 4 30 day months to make every month 31 days, which gets us up to 38. Add 1 day to every month, which brings us up to 51 (12+1) and then give Febuary a 33rd day to make it feel more special.

Of course, we'd have to do away with leap years. They're not important anyway.

Octoweek.

[ Theories of Insanity are not responsible for any loss of sanity or brain cells from this theory ]

Theory 02; Coming soon to a topic near you!

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#2 2005-09-16 01:39:27

insomnia
Real Member

Re: Theories of Insanity; Theory 01; Octoweek

I think I know what Theory No 2 is. It ties in with Octoweek.

That was the sort of discussions that me and Zach used to have everyday. It's amazing I didn't find my sanity!

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#3 2005-09-16 01:43:19

Zach

It's not the 8 sided cube one. It's something completely different.

#4 2005-09-16 03:42:09

insomnia
Real Member

darn. I wanted you to explain the Octo-cube.

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#5 2005-09-16 04:36:43

ryos

You took 2 minutes of my life and I WANT THEM BACK!

Seriously, though, the Mayas had a calendar that didn't need all this leap garbage. We should toss out the baggage of centuries, ditch the gregorian/julian calendar, and go to a sensible system based more on the actual motions of the earth than our desire to have a neat, integral number of hours in a day (or days in a year).

Like that'll ever happen...

El que pega primero pega dos veces.

#6 2005-09-16 10:54:32

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Aha, Metric Time !!

10 Hours in a day, 10 days in a week 10 weeks in a month, ...  ummm 3.6524 months in a year ...

So, Zach is Octoday part of the weekend (yay!) or the work week (doh).

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#7 2005-09-16 23:25:18

Zach

Part of the weekend, obviously. It'd be stupid otherwise.

Board footer