Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2010-01-06 20:24:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Girls just as good at mathematics as boys

It is just that girls have less confidence in the subject, according to this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 112303.htm

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2010-01-06 21:08:55

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Girls just as good at mathematics as boys

Hi MathsisFun;

Very good link. There is another link on that page describing womens failure to succeed. Isn't there something paradoxical about "failure to succeed." Aren't they now a success at being a failure? Let's forget that for now.

The picture clearly shows a student fumbling in an electronics class, She looks more confused than someone with 3 left hands. She is not working through a trig problem. The problem is working on her.

Overconfidence is a tremendous handicap but lack of confidence is death.

He is able who thinks he is able.

Implying that lack of confidence is a small matter is foolish. If that is the problem and I don't think it is, then saying they just need to be given some pep talk is like saying if my car were 120 mph faster and my reflexes were twice what they are, then I would win Daytona too.

I have been listening to psychology and the school system saying that there is a gap since the early 70's. The question is what have they done about it ?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#3 2010-06-03 07:28:22

loganlambe1155

Well i think that boys are far better than girls when it comes to mathematics because boys are quick and girls are good in cramming hahahaha. girls would fit in subjects related to arts.

#4 2010-06-03 14:38:53

Identity
Power Member

loganlambe1155 wrote:

Well i think that boys are far better than girls when it comes to mathematics because boys are quick and girls are good in cramming hahahaha. girls would fit in subjects related to arts.

To the contrary, I think boys cram FAR more than girls. I think girls have a bit of a reputation for being organised, while boys have a reputation for being lazy (and I am a prime example).

I think that, as wonderful as mathematics is, it is viewed by many as a 'lazy subject'. At least, at my university, with other science subjects you have heaps of experiments and extra stuff you have to do, whereas in mathematics you just need to do assignments.

#5 2010-06-03 14:53:26

bobbym
Administrator

I agree that men do more cramming. Seem to be capable of more?! You have to have great confidence in your abilities to leave everything for the last night and still believe you can do that. The whole course in one night, maybe two courses in one night. definitely not for the timid.

But loganlambe1155 has led us away from the central point, Girls have less confidence about math.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6 2010-06-08 02:20:40

KrazyKyngeKorny

MathsIsFun wrote:

It is just that girls have less confidence in the subject, according to this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 112303.htm

Actually, women, in general, are smarter than men. However, men have beaten them down for centuries, and they think they have to be "dumb" to please men. IOW, the fault is NOT theirs. It is YOURS.

WOMEN ARE SMARTER THAN YOU, SIR.

#7 2010-06-08 03:08:50

bobbym
Administrator

I have never heard anyone say, "you know in all honesty, it's probably a tie." Why must some gender have the edge? In the past everyone polled always said men are smarter. Now in some sort of overreaction to that, everyone says women are smarter. Neither opinion seems correct.

The title says "Girls just as good as boys," no edge is implied. Isn't that the opinion that will certainly cause less violence. Remember, Tycho Brahe? He lost his nose in a duel over who was the better mathematician. Now if he and his opponent had the saner view of equality , that man would have kept his nose. And you don't want to know what happened to the opponent.

Board footer