Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-17 02:26:12

gurthbruins

Gurth's Suggestions for Posting Solutions to Problems

Gurth's Suggestions for Posting Solutions to Problems:

1. First try to understand what the problem-setter is trying to convey to you.

2. You are not there to nit-pick the way in which the problem has been set. If there is any point about which you are not clear, then do not resolve the doubt by making an arbitrary choice. Resolve it by asking a sensible question before you proceed.

3. You are definitely not expected to try to sabotage the problem, to make it appear silly or to imply that the rules are inadequate. If you think they are inadequate, then get that matter straightened out before you go further.

In the case of the House Number Problem, it is clear that the setter has constructed a puzzle that relies for its validity on the assumption that house numbers are integers. Fractional house numbers are at most in a freakish, tiny minority and to bring this fact into the discussion may be of interest, but it is of no interest to the solving of the problem. Because, if we allow fractional house numbers, then the problem is essentially DESTROYED, which is tactless to the well-meaning setter, in fact can only be seen as a boorish lack of a cooperative spirit. Please refrain from this type of one-up-manship. It is in no way funny or amusing.

It's the activity of the intelligence above all that gives charm to existence.

#2 2010-05-21 21:10:41

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Gurth's Suggestions for Posting Solutions to Problems

Hi gurthbruins,

You are very entitled to make such points, but could you please say it nicely? Your tone is likely to aggravate people, and then the moderators will need to step in.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2010-05-22 00:12:09

JaneFairfax

What’s the problem? I think gurthbruins has put it in a nice a way as possible.

#4 2010-05-22 00:45:04

gurthbruins

You are making a distinction between "people" and "moderators." Certainly the people don't deserve to be aggravated, the moderators do. Who is to moderate the moderators? Have you complained to them about their rudeness?

I should perhaps have entitled my thread "Gurth's Suggestions to Moderators for Posting Solutions to Problems:"

#5 2010-05-22 00:46:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi gurth;

What moderator was rude? And why pick on MIF even so? Let's not continue something that was a week ago. Does it have to be a lifelong blood feud?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2010-05-22 01:03:39

gurthbruins

The moderator was the one who introduced the concept of fractional house numbers: as far as I recall, it was you yourself. I referred to your behaviour as "a boorish lack of a cooperative spirit".

I made my point a week ago. MIF is the one who has reopened this subject after a delay of one week. If moderators step out of line, I won't hesitate to rap them over the knuckles. Just grin and bear it smile

I don't continue to hold any grudge against those I have already punished.

#7 2010-05-22 01:08:44

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi gurth;

MIF is the administrator, he can bring it up when he likes. Mentioning 1/2 house numbers is not a crime sir. You have not rapped me on the knuckles. I don't care about your grudges. But if you will desist then you can consider that you have disciplined me. Just forget about it. I have the posts you weren't even there at any time. The two people that were, were spoken to by MIF. Isn't that enough for you?

#8 2010-05-22 01:18:08

gurthbruins

Ok, let's forget about it now. I will desist about the past. smile

#9 2010-05-22 01:18:52

bobbym
bumpkin

Me too!

Board footer