Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-08 12:26:18

John E. Franklin

hide buttons work when logged in

Why don't hide buttons work when you're not logged in?
See I sometimes just read posts while I'm not logged in and
I noticed this.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#2 2005-09-08 17:58:59

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: hide buttons work when logged in

Since I am currently working on the hide tag, anything could happen to it!! (In this case my development work accidentally got copied onto the live version during a recent update .... )

Now, the hide tags original purpose was to avoid spoiling a puzzle (in other words you wouldn't accidentally see a solution, but you could click to see).

But now I think it would be cool if it really did hide answers under certain conditions.

So, while we are on the topic, what do you think of this idea:

For a normal thread hide is just the button we are all used to, but ... if the title has the text "(current)" in it (for example How Many Bricks in a Wall (current) ), then the hide tag will really hide the answer to everyone except the person whose answer it is, and the person who started the thread.

So, we could have competitions even!

And if we do hide the answer what do we replace it with - another button that pops up a message "Ha ha - made you click!", or do we have coloured text that says "(Answer hidden while topic is current)" ?

Thoughts anyone??

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2005-09-08 22:58:48

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Yes, that would be fine! When the question or problem is no longer current, the hide tag would show the solution! Good thought smile

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2005-09-10 13:22:17

justlookingforthemoment

Sounds great! So that means ganesh would post his questions in separate threads? Would all of his previous questions stay the same way, or would they be separated?

And how would you tell when to change a thread to 'not current'? Could there be a way after a certain time frame, or maybe even after a certain amount of people have answered it, the thread could change to 'not current' automatically?

Board footer