Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-06 17:36:52

MathsIsFun
Administrator

The Forum may be "Read Only" while Moving to Another Server

Because the forum has been going slow on weekends, I have been looking around for another company to host it.

It has been time-consuming and complicated, but I have found a new host for the website. I am in the process of copying everything over now.

At some point I will press the button which tells the internet of the websites new location. Once started, this process radiates over the internet and can take a day or more to reach every corner of the internet.

So, during that time, some people will see the old version, and some will see the new version! And if you post a message on the old one, it won't appear on the new one.

So, when I activate the change I will make the old forum "read only". Check back next day and hopefully you will see the new forum (which will look exactly like the old forum but with a "This is the new forum" message)

There is no way around this. If in doubt Google "domain name propagation" to see what I am talking about.

(BTW: this is a difficult and painful process for me but hopefully, on average, things will be better afterwards. If not, you will hear my screams)

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2005-09-06 18:13:32

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: The Forum may be "Read Only" while Moving to Another Server

Note: this will also affect the Wiki, so don't edit it for a day.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2005-09-06 22:00:36

MathsIsFun
Administrator

OK, we are HERE !!

#4 2005-09-07 04:19:52

Zach

This new server drags!

It called me stupid!

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#5 2005-09-07 09:15:11

MathsIsFun
Administrator

So, how does the performance seem?

1. Pretty much the same
2. Better
3. Worse
4. Curate's Egg ("partly good / partly bad")

#6 2005-09-07 19:26:54

justlookingforthemoment

I can't tell the difference at all (yet). But time will tell...especially when we get to the weekends. smile But...yay!

#7 2005-09-08 02:47:50

insomnia
Real Member

#1 for rating above.

I noticed as some posts went a bit wrong, and a couple of my posts disappeared.

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#8 2005-09-08 09:38:57

MathsIsFun
Administrator

insomnia wrote:

... a couple of my posts disappeared.

Sorry, but there is no predicting who gets which location (old/new) during the "domain name propagation".

When you request a website the first step is to turn the name into a number (www.website.com => 192.200.3.100), then you are sent to that numbered location.

If there was one central name=>number machine (called a name server) it couldn't cope, so there are thousands of them. And they update off each other in some complex fashion.

So, when I  sign up with a new hosting company, some central nameserver is told about the new location. Then during the day other nameservers check in and find out about the new location. And later on other lower-down nameservers find out from those ... and so on. Can take days to complete this process. And with bad luck the namserver that your internet connection is set up on could be one of the last to know, and still be sending you to the old site!

#9 2005-09-18 22:21:47

demi'nd'Amba

kylekatarn wrote:

wow! I woke up 15 min ago! l0l0l0lllolol000l0l! I was sleeping during the whole process:)

You Are stupid why did you fall asleep

#10 2005-09-19 09:58:21

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Huh? What is stupid about falling asleep?

Board footer