Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2005-08-28 07:26:11

Roraborealis

Re: Wink Murder 3

Can I play this time?

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#27 2005-08-28 20:35:14

justlookingforthemoment

This time? We haven't had a game since you've been gone... smile

Should we start up again?

#28 2005-08-29 19:05:50

insomnia
Real Member

Ok. So a lot of people are playing. I will start it on Wednesday, this week.

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#29 2005-09-01 18:54:20

insomnia
Real Member

Ok. It's started, so can every check their e-mails to see if they are the murderer.

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#30 2005-09-02 23:41:30

justlookingforthemoment

And we're off...

Alive and playing (and possible suspects)
Insomnia
Justlookingforthemoment
Mathsyperson
MathsIsFun
Ganesh
Roraborealis
Zach

Are they playing?
wcy

#31 2005-09-04 17:30:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

*Knock Knock*

"Hello!"

BANG!

(sound of footsteps fading into distance)

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#32 2005-09-05 07:14:13

Roraborealis

How come Rod always gets killed first?

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#33 2005-09-05 08:43:57

Roraborealis

I slid my body against it's trunk. My dripping hair stuck to me like thick, wet pieces of raw meat. I slouched over and gasped in exhaustion; the forces of nature nearly had me then for that rumored danger. But this time I was sheltered. And this time I was safe. There was nothing this time that would hold me away from safety.
  Still vunerably stricken, I tilted my eyes up to the height. Like pearls, the water droplets fell from my shelter's leaves and hit the ground as acid. Acid droplets. Attacking.
  Glancing at the background, I remembered with a shudder. I needed to gain height, and gain height quickly. I knew there was no other solution, no matter how hard the task of accomplishing was. Shaking, I clasped the tree. I was never used to climbing and never had been. Thunder crackled. I had to go, just as the thunder was forced, by no means of stopping, to show itself present. Slowly, I made my arms grasp themselves about a few low branches. I closed my eyes and swallowed hard.
  My feet gave me height as I willed them. I shook a few water droplets down as I grasped more of it's weak, wooden limbs that I depended upon. My feet sidled me closer and closer upwards to my goal. I began ascending more rapidly as I reminded myself of what I had left behind me: that deadly rumored danger. My arms entwined those of the tree once more and I stopped respiring for a moment once I realised I was almost finished. I gasped again and rested my forehead against the body of the tree, and locked there for a few undecided seconds.
  The branch in my dominant hand gave a crack.
  I opened my mouth to scream, but nothing erupted from me as I remembered again, and how I must not make myself obvious. My left hand scrabbled frantically of its own accord, it seemed, as all my mind was on the thing I'd left behind me - the thing I was fleeing away from. I tightened my grip on the branch above and then pushed myself up one last time. I was now safe for certain.
  In my place I shuffled uncormfortably. My clothing was drenched - my jeans the worst, sticking to me like a cold denim wrap. My jacket was already torn in the sleeves. Even my t-shirt was as worse, and I found that in one of the tears a dark, sticky liquid was being produced that I hadn't noticed. I couldn't make out the colour because the atmosphere was darker than dark, but I suspected red. I drew my fingers up to my face and touched the thick dirt on my cheek. The scent of grass flowers ran to my nostrils and I brushed them off me. I tasted blood on my toungue. I decided I didn't care about my sodden state and rested my head in a natural alclove in the tree. I was here, and I was alive. Now I had to recover. My eyes shut themselves, declaring their tiredness.
   Then, the noise.
   I bolted up faster than a rocket, my eyes wide. I was sure I'd heard something. A scuffling, not very far away. But I was safe in my tree, where it couldn't get me, no matter what it was. I had to stay thinking that.
   The noise, repeated.
   Time stopped. Nothing moved apart from my thoughts. I was safe, I was safe. I had passed everything that I had passed, I would do that as long as I continued. I would be safe for ever. The leaves that festooned me would help my intentions as long as I stayed motionless. I was so safe. It couldn't get me. It was fine from this ugly, gnarled creature I was sitting in already. It was. It was safe. Nothing could get me. I was safe.
   The noise.
  Silent, be silent. I dared not breathe. I dared not move. My eyes shut tight as my thoughts chased each other in my head. Silence was crucial. Stay away. Go away. No one is here but you. I do not exist. Leave me safe.
  The noise, again, but further off.
  It was leaving, it was leaving me. Am I in safety? I actually beat it. I actually did it. It's gone. I won't have to worry, because everything I thought was right. I was fine. No more noise. Nothing could get me, after all I had braved. I was fine, and there was no more danger. I was safe.
  "I'm safe," I sighed.

And I screamed louder than a whale's song as he tore apart my throat.

#34 2005-09-06 03:10:48

insomnia
Real Member

OMG. That was brilliant Rora!!

#35 2005-09-06 20:06:23

justlookingforthemoment

Alive (and possible suspects)
insomnia
justlookingforthemoment
mathsyperson
Zach
ganesh

Winked
MathsIsFun
Roraborealis

#36 2005-09-08 00:17:24

justlookingforthemoment

Bang. Splat. Kaboom. Gasp.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh! *nail biting scream*

Thud. Knife drops to the ground with a clang. The stranger gets away once more.

insomnia
mathsyperson
Zach
ganesh

Winked
MathsIsFun
Roraborealis
justlookingforthemoment

#37 2005-09-08 02:42:50

insomnia
Real Member

Wow.  I want to guess who the murderer is before I get killed. But I can't as I started it!! She can't get away with it!!

#38 2005-09-08 02:44:36

insomnia
Real Member

Or he. Ha!! YOu thought I was being stupid. I wasn't. Now there are some clues in the varius posts since this started. Not saying what they are, but they help or helped. (Helped as in it doesn't matter now)

#39 2005-09-08 18:43:52

insomnia
Real Member

As I drive home after a long hard day at work, I notice a car coming quite close behind. It pulls back suddenly and stays well back. "That was weird" I say to myself. I turn down my lane to my house. "Just another 5 minutes to my house" I say again to myself. I think I'm losing it. I'm starting to talk myself. I start turning the corner, when BANG! The car that was following rams in to me at 80 mph. The car door buckles under the weight, the engine decides to leap out of the bonnet, and I go flying through the window. As I lay dying on the road, wondering where my other arm is and why there is cherryade on the floor. I look up in to the face of the driver. "You?! Why?! OMG, F***" With that brilliant parting remark, I die.

#40 2005-09-08 20:12:56

justlookingforthemoment

mathsyperson
Zach
ganesh

Winked
MathsIsFun
Roraborealis
justlookingforthemoment
insomnia

I have a question about this game. Can the murderer kill themselves? (To trick other people.)

#41 2005-09-09 03:34:52

Zach

It'd be hard for the murderer to kill themselves and then kill others.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#42 2005-09-09 09:28:25

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Zach wrote:

It'd be hard for the murderer to kill themselves and then kill others.

Though not impossible.

I saw a movie where a contract killer took on an apprentice. One day the apprentice got an assignment to kill the killer and succeeded. Quite pleased with himself he went to the ex-killer's house, got into the ex-killer's beautiful car, then noticed a small note. The note said "Bang!".

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#43 2005-09-10 00:14:52

Zach

I guess Mathsyperson!

He's trying to look 'away' while killing everyone, so people don't realise it's him!

#44 2005-09-10 13:26:15

justlookingforthemoment

mathsyperson
Zach (guessed mathsyperson)
ganesh

Winked
MathsIsFun
Roraborealis
justlookingforthemoment
insomnia

How do we get mathsy back on the forum to see whether he is the murderer? Well, according to Zach, maybe he's secretly watching and reading all the posts anyway... smile

#45 2005-09-11 19:21:56

insomnia
Real Member

Interesting, very interesting??!!!?!

#46 2005-09-13 19:00:03

justlookingforthemoment

Someone guess! Come on, guess Ganesh! smile

#47 2005-09-13 20:03:05

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

I may be one of the killers, beware roll

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#48 2005-09-13 20:45:07

justlookingforthemoment

I only chose you because the only people left alive are you, Zach and mathsyperson. Zach has already guessed, leaving only you and mathsy. And mathsy hasn't been here for a while... smile But if you're one of the killers, I suppose you don't have to guess... lol

#49 2005-09-17 12:34:16

Zach

It was I! I did it!

I was going to kill Ganesh just now, but he'd be the last.

Winner!

#50 2005-09-17 19:42:30

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Oh just too obvious. He wields a scythe, and nobody thought?

Board footer