Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-15 09:23:17

LQ
Real Member

Just how toxic is saltic acid in small amounts?

I'm just interested because seemingly... It's just an acid.
But what does it do in small, nanomolar doses if you would, say, drink a small glass?

and what does sulfuric acid do in the same dose?

I once met one who had an experience with a such a glass.

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#2 2010-03-15 10:23:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Just how toxic is saltic acid in small amounts?

Hi LQ;

What the heck is saltic acid? Nanomolar doses of anything is a really small amount. I have never heard of the therapeutic affects of sulfuric acid. So why would you want to drink any of it in any concentration?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2010-03-15 18:31:08

LQ
Real Member

Not me, but is it toxic then? I believe I wanted to say hydrochloric acid but I meant saltpetric acid, I don't know the exact name, but in swedish, that's salpeter syra.

Last edited by LQ (2010-03-15 18:37:18)

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#4 2010-03-15 18:44:40

Tigeree

I'm not sure, I might find out for you though. Why would  some drink sulfuric acid in a concentrate? That's nuts! Besides, how would you even measure a nanomolar does in a glass? A glass?

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#5 2010-03-16 01:30:28

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi LQ;

As far as I know hydrochloric acid (HCl) has no therapeutic effects so ingestion would have no purpose. Again nanomoles of a substance is a very tiny amount.

I have heard of the ingestion of oxidizing agents and not in tiny amounts either. But I have heard nothing of this saltpetric acid in the health community. What do you know?

#6 2010-03-16 04:04:06

LQ
Real Member

Aah, it was a long time ago, my classmate and I was in this chemistry lesson and she drank 2 dl of it believing it to be water, but it was a nanomolar of this really strong acid. Someone called an ambulance back then, but she lived, I was just wondering if it would work as an catalyst and make the body dissfunction or something, I never noticed anything on the classmate in question, but you never know.

#7 2010-03-16 18:07:25

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi LQ;

200 milliliters of that will not bother anybody. That's the reason she thought she was drinking H2O. She couldn't taste any acidity at that concentration. Why she would go around drinking anything in an unmarked container in a lab is beyond me though.

#8 2010-03-16 21:16:23

LQ
Real Member

It was marked: nM of some kind of acid, it said what acid, long time ago though; I suppose person in question got carried away. Not that someone carried her away or anything...

#9 2010-03-17 14:03:55

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi LQ;

People just don't realize the danger of labs and experimental science in general. Almost killed myself with chlorine gas. Three times I was almost electrocuted working with line voltages.

#10 2010-03-17 21:55:08

LQ
Real Member

Totally agree. The closer you are to something dangerous, the less you should tuch things, even less eat them. That's a good rule. My teacher tought me that.

Board footer