Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2010-02-17 18:29:56

Devantè
Real Member

"Math Tutoring" on YouTube

Don't know if this is really allowed since this is a form of advertising, but I've started a YouTube Channel devoted to tutoring mathematics. Unfortunately, I do not have a microphone or a working video recorder, so at present I have to use MS Paint and CamStudio. As is evident, the first video was not very good, so I will be looking for ways to improve it.

The channel is located here: http://www.youtube.com/user/P2PMaths

Only doing M1 module at the moment, but I'll move on to the rest of the Mechanics modules, then the core/pure core, etc... I'll do D1 soon since there aren't many D1 videos on YouTube.

Last edited by Devantè (2010-02-17 19:21:16)

#2 2010-02-18 03:05:27

JaneFairfax
Legendary Member

Re: "Math Tutoring" on YouTube

You’re doing it free of charge?

Q: Who wrote the novels Mrs Dalloway and To the Lighthouse?

A: Click here for answer.

#3 2010-02-18 03:10:08

bobbym
Administrator

Hi Devante;

I liked them both.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#4 2010-02-18 03:27:39

Devantè
Real Member

@JaneFairfax; Yes, the videos will all be done free of charge with no intention of profit.

@Bobbym; Thanks, but I thought they were terrible... this is just something to "test out" before I get a microphone and working recorder. I already use the P2PMaths name in my tutoring business, but I'm just looking for some basic ways to promote and expand this business for now.

#5 2010-02-18 13:00:24

bobbym
Administrator

Hi Devante;

Sound will beef them up.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6 2010-02-18 13:33:22

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Go Devantè !

You might like to invest in a Wacom Tablet too.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#7 2010-02-18 20:40:28

Devantè
Real Member

Hi guys,

A Wacom Tablet might be a good idea... but quite expensive! In order to save money, my plan is to use a webcam (or some sort of video recording device) to film a sheet of paper that I'll be writing on in a standard felt-tip pen, whilst verbally giving explanations. People that do this are Allen Lin, Edugratis.com, and PatrickJMT (youtube.com/patrickjmt), who recently was the subject of an article. Tutoring is on the rise, and what makes it really easy to do is that it is relatively low-risk! The only costs would be transport and advertising costs, which aren't too expensive anyway (advertising a small business via poster usually only costs around 80p a week). And Easter is coming up, which is always the most popular time for tutoring.

I wonder if I could use Microsoft Mike.

Last edited by Devantè (2010-02-19 01:27:39)

Board footer