Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-27 14:58:02

Raider0451

Hello

Hello everyone,
I am 58  years old and a Senior Industrial Electronics/Computer Tech. I enjoy hunting, fishing and computer programming. I am just a beginner at programming. I also have not studied math in 30 years but have fair skills due to the electronics background. All of the math I have is based on formulas used in electronics.
During the writing of a program or application a lot of math is used. On occassions the programmers run into a math problem that thier math skills is just not good enough. This has happened to me on several occassions. I am looking for a good place to ask and recieve help. But I am also willing to give help in any way I can.

I am here to try and learn a little more. If a day goes by and I have not learned something new then it was wasted. I believe this applies to use all.;)

Raider0451:

#2 2010-01-27 15:02:34

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Hello

Hi Raider!

Welcome. We can help as best we can. Many of us know some programming ... enough to get us into trouble.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2010-01-27 15:15:26

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Raider0451;

Glad to welcome you to the forum. Don't underestimate what you have learned. I have found that people who learned their math from doing problems are very strong. Just between you and I.

I knew an old dude, who had very little mathematical training (or so he claimed). He claimed he trained under Forman S. Acton and George Polya, but I don't believe that. He hated group theory, topology and differential geometry with a passion. If you began with let g be a group or G be a metric he would fire you. Sounds like an idiot doesn't he? One day 2 guys from a prestigious lab and 4 from a great school in Mass. (Weenies as he called them. He had a worse name for me.)  came over and 10 tough problems were posed to me, him and the guests. Needless to say he got all of them right, outscoring me and the weenies.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2010-01-27 16:46:39

Raider0451

Thank you Mathisfun and bobbym for the welcome,

I am going to enjoy this forum. The warm welcome came as an unexpected,  but pleasant surprise.

Raider

#5 2010-01-28 04:48:02

John E. Franklin

Very interesting reading from all you guys!
Welcome RaiderO451
I also have intermediate skills at math, so
we might enjoy each others posts.
I've had more courses, but I forgot
what I learned.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#6 2010-01-28 05:33:54

Raider0451

Hi John,

I decide after viewing some of the posts that I needed to review basic algebra. I am presently on the mathisfun algebra website reviewing the basics and I wish back when I was studying math that I had it explained to me the way it is explained on mathisfun. This site is great. Not only for biginners but for people like me. Who has not studied math in so long a time.
I think maybe my understanding just increased greatly.

John I will enjoy seeing your posts and I made a post on Help Me about a project I'm working but I think I may have stated it wrong. I haven't reviewed algebra basics fully yet But I already see a mistake that I was making in trying to Change a equation. So my efforts at trying to figure out the formula that is needed showed me that I was further down the Math learning path than I had thought. I have forgotten more than I thought I had.

Radier

#7 2010-01-28 05:51:53

John E. Franklin

Yeah, I saw the "alcohol-energy" computer program idea, but
my response is probably not that good, but I didn't understand
every detail ofcourse...

igloo myrtilles fourmis

Board footer