Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#126 2010-01-04 00:30:53

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: We missed it!

Hi quittyqat;

When you put it together...

Mind boggling.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#127 2010-01-04 16:55:54

Tigeree

Mind boggling. I always see that as so much pressure building up in your brain that it just explodes. Or overpowering knowledge that does the same thing. Or something like bursting all the arteries in your head and overflowing with blood. But. "When you put it together..." It would be a geological disaster. The end of the world would come sooner than predicted, everyone would be able to fly, waterfalls would be made out of chocolate. Maybe the entire universe would implode! Anyway, what I was going to say was: LQ's moon theory sounds a lot like what I saw on a remake of H.G Wells' The Time Machine. In 2037 the human race had a colony on the moon that threw the moon out of orbit, and bits were coming off it and were destroying the Earth. Of course, no in the next 20 years but is that possible?

Last edited by Tigeree (2010-01-04 17:01:58)

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#128 2010-01-05 12:42:43

bobbym
bumpkin

Of course, no in the next 20 years but is that possible?

If you saw it in a movie it is probably not possible. What kind of a remake is that anyway, that story is nothing like The Time Machine.

#129 2010-01-05 17:25:19

Identity

The moon is moving away from us at about 3.8cm per year.

Now I am sure that my shoddy calculations are inaccurate, but that means that the 'outwards' kinetic energy of the moon is

The energy released by by one B41 (Mk-41) nuclear bomb (the most powerful ever built), is 25 megatons.

Now, even if we allow for a ridiculous amount of heat loss, the energy released by this nuclear bomb is still many orders of magnitude greater than the 'outwards' kinetic energy of the moon.

So if only one of these bombs were exploded on the far side of the moon, it could reverse the moon's outwards movement and make it start moving towards the earth.

In fact, assuming 99% conversion to thermal energy, the speed of moon will be 5.33 km per year inwards. Not very fast - but it is on a collision course with earth. However, the bomb could also disturb the orbit of the moon, which will affect the climate on earth. In addition, the governments of the world will undoubtedly have built more and more powerful weapons, so a 'war for the moon' could be apocalyptic.

Last edited by Identity (2010-01-05 17:42:09)

#130 2010-06-01 04:02:54

gurthbruins

Tigeree wrote:

It's to late, bobby. I've been antisocial ever since I was a kid. I just don't like people. That's the point I don't like mingling. Once I get certain people close to me I never let go, and everyone else I ignore.

You sound like my ideal person. If everybody were like you, the world would be perfect.

As it is, I think it is already perfect. If "God" (supposing for a moment there is something like that) were to say to me: "I'll improve the world in any way you want", I'd have to reply: "I honestly can't think of any possible improvement."

The world will end at the right time. The only time.

It's the activity of the intelligence above all that gives charm to existence.

#131 2010-06-05 18:26:07

Tigeree

gurthbruins wrote:
Tigeree wrote:

It's to late, bobby. I've been antisocial ever since I was a kid. I just don't like people. That's the point I don't like mingling. Once I get certain people close to me I never let go, and everyone else I ignore.

You sound like my ideal person. If everybody were like you, the world would be perfect.

As it is, I think it is already perfect. If "God" (supposing for a moment there is something like that) were to say to me: "I'll improve the world in any way you want", I'd have to reply: "I honestly can't think of any possible improvement."

The world will end at the right time. The only time.

OMG, you sound like my ideal person!

21/7/2010
I might be in a different state at this point but... I could think of a million ways to improve the world, sense of optimism or no.

Last edited by Tigeree (2010-07-20 21:23:21)

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#132 2010-07-19 19:41:14

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi brayanaustin;

Welcome to the Forum!

I saw a documentary like that also. Some researchers are convinced a great calamity is on the way.

#133 2010-07-20 21:24:31

Tigeree

Now who's imagining things, bobby? Huh? And you all think I'm the crazy one... haveth shame.

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#134 2010-07-21 03:04:41

bobbym
bumpkin

It's not my imagination. That's what they said on the show. I say, let's just wait and see. Let's wait around and do nothing until it is too late, works for me!

Board footer