Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2010-01-03 20:11:59

kittykat01
Novice

Convert percentage to decimal

The examples show that the decimal point moves - it doesn't, the decimal point never moves - the digits move.  I am already trying to undo some bad maths teaching and getting kids to understand place value.  I have really enjoyed looking through this web site and will use some of it in class (not this page though)smile

#2 2010-01-04 13:22:19

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Convert percentage to decimal

Hi, and thanks for the comment.

kittykat01 wrote:

The examples show that the decimal point moves - it doesn't, the decimal point never moves - the digits move.

This must be a point of ignorance for me ... does it matter which one moves, and why?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2010-01-04 23:35:37

bobbym
Administrator

This must be a point of ignorance for me ... does it matter which one moves, and why?

I don't think it matters, how you view it. Saying that the decimal point moves 2 places to the right (or to the left ) is how I was taught.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#4 2010-02-22 03:56:41

iamfriendly

Well, in my opinion, moving the decimal point is easier than moving all the digits

EYE AM FRIENDLY, THAT'S O U NEED 2 NO,
psst,
Don't trust strangers, EYE AM FRIENDLY, THAT'S O U NEED 2 NO ..........psst, Don't trust strangers......

#5 2010-02-22 04:56:17

LQ
Real Member

To convert % to , you divide by 100 and hence you make your answer one hundred times smaller.

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

Board footer