Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-24 05:22:46

almost there

expectation of standard normal random variable

How do I calculate expectations with the standard normal random variable? The integrals generally look very intimidating if even doable sometimes. I am curious how to approach these types of problems in general, so any advice is greatly appreciated. The problem in particular I am staring at right now is to find

, where
is the standard normal random variable. The primary issue I'm having is how to calculate things like this--for instance, and referring to the exercise I mentioned, I write out the integral necessary to calculate this expectation, but it is the integral of the product of a double-exponential with a single-exponential.

#2 2009-11-24 11:10:29

gckc123

Re: expectation of standard normal random variable

The function

is an odd integratable function
Therefore,
the expectation of a standard normal random variable

must equal 0.

Another way is to look at the moment generating function of a stardard normal random variable,
which is

and

Maths is fun!

#3 2009-11-24 22:11:51

almost there

Thanks for your reply smile

I understand using the fact that

is odd to compute the mean, but my original question and what I still cannot figure out, is how to compute
. As we have not approached moment generating functions in this course yet, I do not think I should use that route to find a solution. Any suggestions for my original problem?

gckc123 wrote:

The function

is an odd integratable function
Therefore,
the expectation of a standard normal random variable

must equal 0.

Another way is to look at the moment generating function of a stardard normal random variable,
which is

and

Last edited by almost there (2009-11-24 22:54:51)

#4 2009-11-25 09:05:52

Avon

If
has the standard normal distribution then

which doesn't contain what I would call a double exponential (i.e. something like
).
Is this the integral that you are having problems with?

#5 2009-12-03 07:11:24

almost there

Ok, I feel foolish.

I meant what I said when I said "double exponential", buuuuuut I had wrongly interpreted the problem to be asking to evaluate the integral of the double exponential

when, in fact, the problem statement indicated I ought evaluate the integral
, as you pointed out. Thank you, Avon.

With a few solid nights' rest and a bit of hindsight, I can't imagine how I did not at some point realize that I wasn't even applying the definition of expectation correctly...what a goon.

Avon wrote:

If
has the standard normal distribution then

which doesn't contain what I would call a double exponential (i.e. something like
).
Is this the integral that you are having problems with?

Board footer