Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-27 20:11:05

thinkdesigns

the philosophy and science behind teleportation

assuming they do find a something ( i daren't say particle cos it might not be!) that makes up everything then surely they could perform teleportation, of cupboards and such, by studying the structure of the cupboard, then destroying teh cupboard and then re creating this cupboard in basic properties. so we could do teh same for people, as EVERYTHING about the persons personality is in the brain, which is just a load of circuits, you could recreate someone somewhere else and destroy the original. btw you do need to destroy the original or it won't work ( long story). so what is this person that has been teleported, it isn't the same person, all it is is a bunch of basic particles bunched together by a computer, but it acts like a person, it is identical.
the other original is killed, but yet it seems as though the original is right there *teleported*. does this counteract the theory of heaven and hell and life after death and soul, i think it does.

#2 2005-07-28 17:56:16

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: the philosophy and science behind teleportation

YES.

Moving data (say from one hard disk to another) involves a duplication and then erasure of the original. "I will just move this file" is a simple concept.

If your brain could be digitized, then the act of "moving" it would first result in two of you, then the death of the first one.

If you could cope with this idea (and if you could be digitized in the first place!) then you could be teleported across the globe in under a second.

You would need a suitable receptacle from Bodies'R'Us at the other end.

(On a related note, I remember hearing that a "head transplant" is really a "body transplant")

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2005-07-28 18:27:54

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

We are discussing this 2.500 years ahead of mankind roll
Maybe in 4,500 AD, brain and the body could be digitized,
maybe then the DNA pattern would be
and not
AGCTGGCTAACGTTACTGTTACACGTACGGAATCAGTTAAGCTAAGCT..........

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2005-07-28 21:07:14

insomnia
Real Member

ganesh wrote:

We are discussing this 2.500 years ahead of mankind roll
Maybe in 4,500 AD, brain and the body could be digitized,
maybe then the DNA pattern would be
and not
AGCTGGCTAACGTTACTGTTACACGTACGGAATCAGTTAAGCTAAGCT..........

the matching code (other side of the double helix) would be:
TCGACCGATTGCAATGACAATGTGCATGCCTTAGTCAATTCGATTCGA......

Thank you, Thank you very much *bows*

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#5 2005-07-29 01:09:40

MathsIsFun
Administrator

* Applauds *

But I think you got the "TGA" bit wrong in the middle ...

Just kidding ... made you look!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2005-07-31 18:55:51

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Mathematics lovers discusing Futurology and Genetics (and Cybernetics?) roll

Last edited by Jai Ganesh (2005-07-31 18:56:38)

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#7 2005-07-31 19:41:15

MathsIsFun
Administrator

We do the mathematics, then the scientists come along and do the research on it, then the engineers come along and make it, then the business people come along and put advertising on it, and then the lawyers come along and sue people who use it.

#8 2005-08-02 19:43:17

insomnia
Real Member

Then customers come along and sue the company when it doesn't work (blows up in their face)

I've blown a couple of things up and tried to claim on the insurance. They said that trying to create atrificial life in a microwave was immoral and had already been tried. What I forgot to tell them was that I was actually trying to cook a pizza, then it came alive!!!

It was tasty though. Quite hard to eat. Had to run after. I made it a deal that if it did my homework I would spare it. I lied.

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#9 2005-08-02 20:53:42

MathsIsFun
Administrator

LOL ... very funny!

#10 2005-08-03 01:37:25

insomnia
Real Member

Why, Thank you Rod.

If you would like to order a living pizza....................TOUGH!!

I got hungry, and my microwave got taken away from me. Something about "playing god"????

#11 2005-09-17 12:13:17

Zach

[ Fear my necromatic post-reviving powers ]

Teleportation would work on the base theory that your body and brain are made up of alot of particles. A teleporter, in effect, would have to move all your particles from Place A to Place B. When arriving at Place B, the body would be recreated as it was exactly before. In effect, it's not replicating you or destroying you, it's a more complex version of; move body to here. It's the same principle as simple moving, you're just transporting your molecules with your body, but it breaks them all up and moves them through the air.
Particles cannot be digitized. The genetic stucture of the DNA code turned into Base 2 would be a gigantic length of Binary (If we're talking in the letters format, that's 8 0/1's per letter). The length itself would be nigh-impossible to imagine. Then, the digital signals would have to be sent over wavelength instantaneously, which would only inable the same A to B principle as a Particle Teleporter.
But, Particle Teleporters are incapable of being sophisticated enough to teleport functioning energies that keep the body moving and the neural pulses going through the brain. A body is an extremely complex amount of particles that a Particle Teleporter would never work on a living organism. However, a solid object, in theory, is able to be teleported. An iron bar, for example, can be split into particles and then put back together at another point. Though, the air in which the particles are moving through must be secure. If any other rogue particles get into it, then there is a high chance that there will be a malformation within the teleportation sequence.

Taking this into account, of course, there comes the idea of Particle Teleporter and Rearranger (PTA). A PTA would effectively be the same as a PT, but when it arrives on the other side, the particles could be arranged differently. For example; graffite. They could take the molecular structure of graffite and force it to be rearranged when re-materialising, so instead of graffite from an old pencil, you'd have a glittering diamond worth a few hundreds, even thousands, of pounds/dollars.

Particle Teleportation is, infact, plausable, except that technology is not yet advanced enough. The nearest thing to a PT or a PTA is, infact, a Particle Cannon. A powerful weapon that is infact at least a mile long, which uses magnetic fields and lens to focus a particle beam with massive amounts of kinetic energy, able to move at near light speed, towards a target, which it forces to explode by the sudden transfer of the kinetic energy like a pool effect. Kinetic energy transferring quickly through the particles in the hit object.

So, that's my basis of teleportation.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

Board footer