Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-06 10:23:06

bossk171

Googol

I'm teaching an accelerated math class of 9 sixth graders. Today we talked a little bit about googol and googolplex, but I wanted to follow up with something else next week. So i've googled googol and looked at the info, but I can't find anything about practical or mathematical applications.

Does googol have a purpose or is it just interesting because it's so big? It seems odd that in popular culture it's better known than e but has less of an impact on mathematics and the world in general.

So I guess my question is, "why do I care about googol?"

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who can use induction.

#2 2009-02-17 02:22:07

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Googol

Here are two links you may be interested in, which may probably answer your question. The first one is a thread started in this forum Link 1.
The second one is on large Numbers.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer