Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-03 02:32:16

hippogriffs9_5

i find maths impossible,literally

i find maths impossible,literally.you know why?because i dont enjoy it,i think it is drop dead boring.so i try to enjoy it but it doesn't help!now i am just a person who is really rubbbish at maths,and hates it!:(
any tips?
from,
hippogriffs9_5
(the girl who tries,and fails,in maths!):p

#2 2005-06-03 22:07:09

Roraborealis

Re: i find maths impossible,literally

Maybe you could try learning in a fun way. Like......hmmmm.......like when lemonade said using maths with lemonade glasses!

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#3 2005-06-03 22:22:59

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Well, good on you for trying, hippogriffs! That is impressive in its own right. More pwer to you.

Maths is a lot like computer games. There are rules and definitions and ways of doing things that you need to know. Once you know these, every new challenge becomes a lot more fun, because you are stretching yourself just a little bit more and winning. But if you are trying to do things that are just plain confusing it is no fun at all and gets quite hateful. That is my experience anyway.

So, if you find maths confusing and have trouble solving the problems, it may be helpful for you to go back over the basics.

You could try reading the pages on this website, or get a couple of maths books, and take careful note of what you find easy and feel "clean" about, and also what you find confusing. You may notice that the moment you get confused you just feel like stopping and going onto something else, that is often a good clue to where you need to back up a bit.

It should NOT be hard, boring and hateful. It SHOULD be a little challenging.

Tell me if this seems right to you or not ...

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2005-06-03 22:50:34

hippogriffs9_5

but i already have tond of maths books,all bonds,and i have practise test papers.i ust find it hard!

#5 2005-06-03 22:56:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I see. But what I am suggesting is that you need to get on a "winning streak" with maths, even if it means backing up a little bit.

It CAN be fun if you win. By that I mean you need to be able to see a maths problem, and tease it apart until you can solve it. Solving any maths problem is a success, and means you are making progress. But if the problem is just too hard, you gate a failure and that is NOT fun.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2005-06-04 01:00:27

hippogriffs9_5

thanks alot,but just to hear your opinion, recently we had test week,in maths a got a level 4c.do you thuink thats good fro a person in the middle maths group?

#7 2005-06-04 11:17:39

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Well, there is room for improvement isn't there? But it shows that you have made some progress in maths.

I could give you general advice:

First of all, maths DOES require a certain type of thinking. Something either works or it doesn't. And it takes a bit of training to be able to think like that. So practice is very important.

Second, maths problems are really just puzzles with rules. Like when I mentioned computer games above - if you don't know what you can or can't do then it is just plain confusing.

But we keep talking about "maths", but that is such a broad subject. It may be that you are great at geometry but bad at fractions.

So, why don't you choose something specific that I and the other members can help you with. Give some examples of what you have trouble with, and maybe you can learn that well, then we can move on to another subject. Don't panic, you have time!

#8 2005-06-04 21:08:41

hippogriffs9_5

ok,areas i have trouble with are -- decimals,perceneges and fractions.

#9 2005-06-04 21:22:46

MathsIsFun
Administrator

OK. These are somewhat linked, but lets take one at a time.

Let's start with decimals, and forget everything else. (Forgive me if I start out too easy or too hard, but I just need to get an idea of where you are at.)

Have a go at this worksheet and tell me how you did (careful NOT to click on "Get The Answers" until you have had a go at each problem.)

#10 2005-06-05 20:29:32

hippogriffs9_5

Thanks

#11 2005-06-07 05:02:10

hippogriffs9_5

i have done the maths sheet,and thanks it was really easy and helped!

#12 2005-06-07 10:31:38

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Well, don't stop there ... we can do more if you want. Perhaps that was too easy, hey?

#13 2005-06-07 19:30:59

hippogriffs9_5

a bit,but could you give me another one?

#14 2005-06-07 21:40:58

MathsIsFun
Administrator

OK, similar to the last one, but  a little harder

Try easy Decimal Subtraction here

Or even Decimal Multiplication here

You may notice that it is exactly the same as normal addition, subtraction or multiplication, you just have to make sure the decimal point is in the right place.

Feel free to ask any questions if you can't make sense of any of these.

You can do lots more decimal practice from this menu

(PS: I really don't mind this once a day discussion.)

#15 2005-06-12 00:35:39

hippogriffs9_5

great!

#16 2005-06-14 18:48:01

hippogriffs9_5

sorry i have not replies for long,could you give me aniother sheet!

#17 2005-06-15 20:54:18

MathsIsFun
Administrator

So, how did you go with the Decimal Subtraction and Multiplication? Do you want some harder ones? How do you feel about decimals now?

#18 2005-06-21 07:01:19

hippogriffs9_5

easyish

#19 2005-06-21 09:47:42

MathsIsFun
Administrator

OK, I will make em harder, till you scream!

#20 2005-07-08 01:43:13

hippogriffs9_5

that sounds fair,lol

#21 2005-07-14 17:54:48

MathsIsFun
Administrator

OK, I have some tougher Decimals Worksheets. You can do these Online!

Harder Decimal Subtraction here

Harder Decimal Multiplication here

And Decimal Division  here

Some of them are really hard, so you will need a pen and paper, and it is OK not to do all of them, you will get scored based on those you do.

Now, a Decimal Fraction is a special type of fraction where the lower number (the denominator) is 10 or 100 or 1000 etc.

You can try converting Decimals to Decimal Fractions here

#22 2005-12-17 01:15:46

hippogriffs9_5

hi.sorry i haven't replied.i am now way better at maths  then before.my normall score now is 45 on 50!

#23 2005-12-17 06:33:47

RickyOswaldIOW

Learning maths for the sake of learning maths is probably very dull.  Most people learn maths because they need to for somthing else i.e. software development.
   I've found studying maths can be a little tedious, but I only fail at learning it if I try to understand the maths from the start.  When I am being taught a new method in mathematics, instead of trying to UNDERSTAND what is going on, I just accept the steps I need to take and take them.  The understanding of what's happening usually sinks in when you have been working with somthing for a while.

Aloha Nui means Goodbye.

#24 2005-12-17 08:34:57

mikau

Right on, Rickyswallowhead....whatever your name is.

Usually understanding of a concept comes after you are familiar with it and have worked with it for a while. You been to see the logic and reasoning behind it.

And Hippogriff, this is the philosophy of the author of my mathbook:

math is not difficult, math is differant, and that people often call things that are unfamiliar to them, difficult, and things that are familiar easy. Time and practice is required for things that are differant to become things that are familiar and thus, easy.

This really is true. Also, the author of my mathbook claims he is not particularly fond of math. But he likes what math has allowed him to do. Engineering, computer sciense, etc. Math in and of itself is completely worthless, but when applied to something, its like wielding a magic wand!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#25 2005-12-17 19:03:48

darthradius

ricky and mikau-

I have to disagree a bit...
I, for one, find it incredibly difficult to understand anything (and particularly that which is math-related), without understanding the reasoning behind it...
It is interesting that you should make these comments, however...
I had assumed that everyone would feel as I do and that most would learn the mechanical processes of "doing" the math more effectively after they have a clear understanding of the conceptual aspects, or the "why" behind the math.
I imagine it depends entirely on individual learning styles...thanks for the insight

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
                                                             -Bertrand Russell

Board footer