Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-12 00:30:44

Identity

Test worries

I have a very important test this Tuesday, and I'm wondering what can I do in preparation? I know my material well, so I guess I'm most worried about my exam strategy and mindset. In previous tests I've been confident but I always lose marks I shouldn't, even in questions I check over. The test, by the way, is on all power, exponential, and log functions, as well as transformations. Thankyou.

#2 2008-04-12 05:42:58

John E. Franklin

Re: Test worries

Before the test:
Memorize 2^n, for n = -16 to +16
Memorize 3^n, for n = -6 to +6
Memorize 10^n, for n = -10 to +10
And quickly look at: [ inv ln(1)]^n, where n is 1 to 6.

Take a walk outside if have time or any other
fresh air activity will help your test performance,
even if you only have 5 minutes, still make the time.

Last edited by John E. Franklin (2008-04-12 05:58:32)

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#3 2008-04-12 06:06:51

LuisRodg
Real Member

This is how I prepare for my tests, Im not sure they will help you but its how I do it.

I used to read the chapters and try to understand all the concepts, memorize the theorems etc. I made sure I knew everything well. But I found out that isnt enough when taking a test. Even though I knew everything well, I would always lose little points like you said.

What I started doing for every test from then on is I would do the same I used to do, read the chapters 1-2 times, make sure I understand all the concepts, memorize all the theorems etc.

Now I will do ALL the problems on the back of the chapter section. All of them. They are a lot (about 50+ or so) but its worth it in my opinion. When I finished the problems. I would go back to the chapter, read it again and do ALL the problems again. You might say "why again? " Well, I found that if you do the problems once its not enough practice and you will notice this when you try to do them for the second time, you still struggle with some problems which you have already done. This helps to really grind that practice and get used to all types of problems that might pop up on the test.

This is what I been doing for all my tests. I just had a test on monday on the convergence of series, taylor and maclaurin polynomials and series, integration and differentiation of series etc. I got a 100 on the test where before I would get around a 90 for little mistakes etc.

Dont know if this helps you.

#4 2008-04-12 06:43:21

Ricky

I just make a simple cheat sheet.  Imagine if you were going to cheat on a test, put everything you think that will be important on it.  Typically writing it out helps you memorize it faster.  Then you have all the "important" information in one place, very easy to look over when you have 5 free minutes.

I've always found that if I make sure I understand everything as I'm learning it, I have no problems on the test.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2008-04-12 08:13:28

bossk171

I do the opposite of all these things. I put the book away and do something else. I let the information fester undisturbed in my subconscious. I find the more I study, the more nervous I am for a test, and the more mistakes I make.

On an odd note, I'm currently volunteering my math skills for my old high school. The AP Calculus course is right around the corner for them, and I did the best in the class last year. I remember not being nervous for my AP test, just going in doing my thing and leaving. Not really caring either way. This year I'm really nervous for their test, in fact I"m really freaking out. It's weird, but true.

Just kick back and relax. Be confident, but not arrogant, and remember that it's only a test.

And have a big breakfast.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who can use induction.

#6 2008-04-12 17:43:25

Identity

Thanks a heap everyone, I'll try these suggestions!

#7 2008-04-17 18:44:30

Identity

I aced the test, I'm so happy big_smile

#8 2008-04-18 09:05:25

John E. Franklin

Yesss!!

igloo myrtilles fourmis

Board footer