Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-10 07:03:03

Kurre

Complex numbers in geometry

I have so far in school only learnt the pure basics of complex numbers (how to display them i the plane, addition/multiplication/division/exponents, trig-form, exp-form etc), but now i have stumbled upon problems in a math competition course were they use complex numbers as solutions to geometric problems. And i must admit, im totally lost! It just got too complicatet way too quick, and i cant really get the hang of it. So if anyone have any really simple problems, examples or guides dealing with really easy geometric applications of complex numbers that are just a little more advanced than the basics, I would be very grateful! I have loads of examples and solutions for more advanced problems, but to be able to understand them, I really need to take it from the beginning and work my way up from there to the more advanced level...

Thanks!

#2 2008-03-14 05:36:19

Kurre

Re: Complex numbers in geometry

Please, cant anyone give any tips?? I really need to learn this...

#3 2008-03-14 08:56:34

John E. Franklin

Sine waves have been expressed with complex exponential equations.
It blew my mind when I saw it computed by Professor Krackhardt.

Or are you talking about vectors, where i or j is the y-component upward?

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#4 2008-03-14 09:13:16

Kurre

John E. Franklin wrote:

Or are you talking about vectors, where i or j is the y-component upward?

What I want is the basics and simple tips/facts that may help when attempting a geometric proof in the plane using complex numbers.

Board footer