Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-14 17:47:17

purecity

Problem: incorrect printing of time worksheets

Hello all!  The time worksheets view correctly on my screen but are not printing properly.  I've tried changing settings, using different printers, even copying it and putting the "image" into Word so that I could print it.

When I print the worksheet directly from the browser, only the clock needles print; there aren't any clock faces.  When I copy and paste into MS Word (hoping that'd let me print the worksheet correctly), that didn't work either.  I get the clock faces and the needles as separate images, but the images aren't overlapped properly.  I see the clock face and the needles underneath the clock face.  I tried to manually realign the image of the clock needles on top of the image of the clock face but it was nearly impossible to get them to line up to display the intended time (as shown on the answer key).  Many of the alignments I tried to do would end up being a few minutes off or the centre of the needles wouldn't line up to the centre of the clock.

Any solutions or suggestions that I might try?  I do like seeing that the clock faces also show the 24-hr system.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.
-- R.

#2 2008-01-14 18:32:50

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Problem: incorrect printing of time worksheets

Thanks, purecity. The hands and the clock faced are "over-layed" by the browser. When I made them they worked fine.

What browser are you using? Internet Explorer 6 or 7 ... or Firefox 1.5 or 2? And are you on Windows XP?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2008-01-15 02:45:53

purecity

I'm using IE 7 and XP with service pack 2.  Like I said, the worksheets look fine on the screen but not on paper.

#4 2008-01-15 09:04:19

MathsIsFun
Administrator

It must also relate to the printer, then, as I have tried IE7 and XP and it prints fine.

This is gonna be a hard one to track down. What is your printer?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2008-01-15 09:29:33

purecity

Hmm... I'll let my school's computer tech know and have him check it out too.  I've tried on two printers and neither worked.  However, to answer your question, the printer I use usually is a Toshiba e-studio 720 PS printer.

Might it be some sort of setting in IE that you have that I don't have?  I'll test other possibilities and see if I can gather more info.

#6 2008-01-15 16:43:58

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks ... if needed I may have to combine the face with the hands into one image, but that reduces the possibility of other clocks.

I have also found that it doesn't work in Firefox 2 (but does work in IE7 for me). Go figure.

#7 2008-01-15 22:09:05

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Update: the Firefox issue is a known bug I think (found this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=367036).

The hands should have transparent all around them,but end up as white when printing and so block the face.

Still don't know why it won't work in IE7 for you when it works fine for me sad

QUESTION TO ANYONE: How does this look when printed: http://www.mathsisfun.com/worksheets/pr … 4&ID=15690 (and are you using Internet Explorer/Firefox or what) ...?

#8 2008-01-16 02:11:05

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Perfectly normal at IE (version not known!) on XP!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#9 2008-01-16 02:44:45

purecity

MathsIsFun wrote:

The hands should have transparent all around them,but end up as white when printing and so block the face.

Ah... that would explain why only the hands printed.  I tried printing the worksheet to PrimoPDF; that also only printed the hands again.

Evidently, our computer tech isn't scheduled to come in until tomorrow so I won't have any other feedback for you until late sometime tomorrow or Friday morning.

Thanks for all of your searching so far.  I hope a workable solution can be found.

#10 2008-01-16 09:20:24

MathsIsFun
Administrator

So do I. Thanks to you too, as there will be other people with this problem who don't speak up.

And thanks ganesh, that helps.

#11 2008-01-17 06:56:19

purecity

Problem solved!  My school's computer tech had an idea that I didn't think to check.  Under "Tools," then "Internet Options," then "Advanced" tab, you can check off a printing setting (scroll down the list) to "Print background colours and images."  Once that setting was checked, the time worksheets printed just fine for me.  (He had set it as unchecked for me.)

Perhaps it might help to put this tip up on the time worksheet section for others who might have the same problem as me?

Thanks! smile

#12 2008-01-17 09:14:19

MathsIsFun
Administrator

YAY! I will do that.

Board footer